Rainbow Mountain 2 Day Trek
This Rainbow Mountain 2 Day Trek is for those who don’t like to walk with a lot of people. You will enjoy the first day the majestic Ausangate glacier, On the second day you will enjoy the Amazing Rainbow Mountain early in the morning. We only take small groups and private trips, minimum 02 and a maximum of 08 persons. we provide you personalized service.
- WHAT TO PACK
- IMPORTANT INFO
RAINBOW MOUNTAIN 2 DAY TREK ITINERARY
Day 1: Cusco – Alqatari – Ausangate -Ananta
We pick you up at your hotel at 04:00 am for your Rainbow Mountain 2 Day Trek and drive for about 3 hours to Alqatari where we have our hot breakfast prepared by our professional chef. We are going to start our high altitude exploration in the morning passing local houses, lush pampas and hundreds of llamas and alpacas.
Our destination to get Pucacocha passes from where we have a spectacular view of Ausangate glacier (the highest peak of Cusco 6,370meters/20,000 feet). After enjoying the glacier and colorful tarns we come down to our campsite and have delicious lunch at our dinning room which is made of stones ans mud. As the sun sets down our staff set up the tent inside our mountain Huts for you to relax and enjoy playing soccer over 4700 meters/15,200feet if you can. while dinner is being prepared by our private cook. This night you are going to observe a memorable night sky full of southern constellations.
- Walking Distance: 10km/ 6,21 miles.
- hiking hour: 5 hours roughly.
- Difficulty: Difficult.
- Campsite Elevation: 4,700 meters / 15,419 feet.
- Accommodation: Mountain Huts.
Day 2: Ananta – Warmi Saya – Rainbow Mountain- Cusco
Today is the most important day which you have been waiting for. you will enjoy this amazing Rainbow Mountain. We are going to wake you up at 03:30 am with coca tea or coffee delivered to your tent, and have your hot breakfast to fuel you up for your first climb to Warmi Saya pass 5150m (16,8963 feet).then go down to the circle lake and walk along two lakes until to get Vinicunca (Rainbow Mountains).
Once you get to the Rainbow Mountain, you can take all the picture as you can, explore the mountain with your local guide and really enjoy the colorful mountains around you. it truly is a spectacular place. Then you will hike down, it only takes you about two hours and here you will celebrate a successful trip, and enjoy your delicious lunch before getting back to Cusco (3 hours and a half). We will get back to Cusco around 6 pm.
- Walking Distance: 9 km/ 5,59 miles.
- hiking hour: 4 hours roughly.
- Difficulty: Moderate - Difficult.
Itinerary subject to change
- English speaking guide, plus an assistant guide for big groups.
- Professional cook and an assistant cook for a big group and horseman for the mules and horses
- Mules which carry group gear and large duffels provided by the company, for personal belongings.
- All food on the trek, which incorporates traditional Peruvian cuisine as well as modern fusion cuisine and specific dietary needs.
- Boiled water and snacks.
- Large Dining tent, table, stools, all cutlery, and kitchen tent.
- Tents to overnight, and Thermarest. Two-person tents are provided for a single person and three-person tents for double people to provide plenty space for personal gear.
- Additional horses for riding can be provided for an additional cost.
- First aid kit, including oxygen.
- A pre-trek briefing.
- Entrance fee to Rainbow Mountain.
- Private transportation to and from your hotel in Cusco.
- 7 kilograms of your personal belonging.
- sleeping bag.
- Dinner on the 2nd day.
- Personal trekking gear including, backpacks, trekking poles. However, they may be rented from the company.
- Gratuity for guides, cooks, and horseman.
- Personal riding horse. Additional horses may be rented according to the needs of the individual and group.
WHAT TO BRING FOR THE RAINBOW MOUNTAIN 2 DAY TREK
- Day pack with a Rain cover.
- Torch/ headlamp.
- Extra socks (wool is best).
- Hiking pants and shirts- layers.
- Rain pants.
- Camping shoes/ sandals- to wear in the evenings.
- Camping pillow.
- Water-resistant trekking shoes.
- Warm clothing (thermal underwear, fleece, hat and gloves).
- Waterproof clothing (poncho).
- Synthetic or cotton clothing (trousers, shorts, t-shirts).
- Sunhat and sunglasses.
- Sun cream.
- Lip Balm.
- Camera/ extra battery.
- Water bottles such as Nalgene.
- Basic medications.
- Walking sticks.
- Personal items.
- Personal snacks.
- Cash (if you’d like to purchase souvenirs).
Don’t forget wáter!. Drinking lots of water will help with the altitude. We advise bringing at least 2 liters per person on the hike with you and have an extra bottle to leave in the van for when you get back.
We skip the crowds!— Everybody else goes to Rainbow Mountain at the same time. That means they’re all up at the top at the same time. There is only one spot to take the classical picture of the Rainbow Mountain(Vinicunca) and it wouldn’t be pleased with a huge crowd of people. Since we leave from Cusco at 02:15 am. You will get the Rainbow Mountain before the crowd.
Our guide always oxygen tanks which are important as you get over 5040 meters/16,500 feet above sea level! Not all travel agencies offer this, so this is definitely something to look out for when choosing the best Rainbow Mountain tour operator.
The best time to visit the Rainbow Mountain is going to be in the morning or evening hours, either right after sunrise, or right before sunset.
The hike to the top is no joke. Constantly changing weather conditions, combined with high altitude, can be a challenge for experienced hikers. But if done right it’s manageable even for those who don’t hike much.
When you go to the Plaza de Armas in Cusco, you’ll find tons of agencies that offer this same tour “cheap” but remember: you get what you pay for. In many cases, some agencies may charge much less but will send you on a tour where the groups are 25, 35 more tourists and one guide. We offer our exclusive service tour where the minimum is 2 and the maximum is 8 people per group.
Make sure you are acclimatized to Cusco’s altitude before you set off on your hike to the Rainbow Mountain. This is by far the best insurance for a smooth and enjoyable trip. We recommend you spend at least 3 days in Cusco prior to the excursion.
Go to sleep early and try to avoid drinking or partying the night before, because We will pick you up at 02:15 am and the physically challenging trek will be much more bearable without a hangover.
If you have altitude sickness symptoms, descend as quickly as you can. It’s nothing to mess around with.
Try to go all the way to the viewpoint. You get a 360° view not just a rainbow Mountain, but of the nearby glacier and a gorgeous valley in the other direction. We think most people didn’t realize what they were missing by not going all the way up.
If you are going to Machu Picchu the day before your trip to the Rainbow Mountain, tell your travel company to book your return train ticket early.
Don’t go to the Rainbow Mountain in the afternoon in the rainy season because of lighting. Since the high concentration of mineral. There is a high chance to get stricken by lighting.
Higher elevation also means colder, nearly freezing temperatures, so be prepared. Whether you decide to take a one-day tour, make sure to wear very warm clothes. Also bring coca leaves to fight off altitude sickness and carry the minimum gear possible to ease the hike.