Short Inca Trail + Sacred Valley - 3 Days
Short Inca Trail & sacred valley 3 Day hike is a wonderful option for those who desire to visit two important places and hike the length of the Inca Trail. With beautiful landscapes, a great variety of flora and fauna on display, and visit this amazing sacred valley visiting Pisac, Ollantaytambo.
This Inca trail 3 days allows you to visit the first day Amazing Sacred Valley and the next day most magnificent ruins such as Chachabamba and Winawayna, and then enter on foot through the Sun Gate as the Incas did. You are going to take a bus down to Aguas Calientes town and have an unforgettable dinner with your tour guide. This will be at a nice restaurant in the village before heading to your hotel, and the next day will be spent at Machu Picchu (Seven Wonders of the Modern World) with a private guide.
We follow the "Health Guidelines for COVID-19 for Inca Trail 3 days" issued by the Peruvian government.
Why should you hike the Inca trail 3 day trek with AB Expeditions?
- We are a practical, punctual, reliable Travel company, welcoming individuals or groups. Check out our reviews on trip advisor.
- We include porters who will carry your lunch on the second day on Inca Trail, so you will hike light.
- You will ride the same tourist train with your guide from Ollantaytambo to Km 104(Inca trail trailhead.
- We don't share the service with other companies.
- Small groups of 2 to 8 people maximum. This fact sets us apart from other travel companies that take bigger groups.
- AB Expeditions is A 100% locally owned Travel Company and fully licensed Inca Trail operator.
- Our Tour Guides pride themselves on being up-to-date and have a comprehensive program of continual professional development. We love showing what a fascinating and amazing Inca trail is.
- Your return train ticket is at 02:55 pm from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo. Therefore you arrive in Cusco early so you will sleep enough to do any tour the next day.
SHORT INCA TRAIL SACRED VALLEY ITINERARY
DAY 1: CUSCO – SACRED VALLEY – OLLANTAYTAMBO
Sacred Valley is a vast valley where there are a lot of tourist attractions. One day is not enough to visit all of them, that’s why we have split it into 2 options to visit it properly. Any of these options start at 7:00 am at your hotel in Cusco. See the options below and let us know which option you want:
Option 01: By Pisac(Alpaca farm, Pisac ruins, Pisac Market, and Ollantaytambo).
We will pick you up from your hotel lobby at 07:00 am in Cusco for your Inca Trail 3 day tour. Then we will take a road that leads to Pisac. We will visit the 4 main sites, Awana Cancha where you see (Alpacas, Llamas, Vicuña, and Huanacos), Pisac Archeological site, Pisac Market and Ollantaytambo Archeological site. On the halfway, we will have our lunch in Urubamba, after lunch we can visit Brewery(optional) then we go to visit the Archeological center of Ollantaytambo. After visiting Ollantaytambo, we go to check in our Hotel, have dinner, and overnight in a hotel of 2 stars in Ollantaytambo town.
Option 02: By Maras( Chinchero, Moray, Salt Ponds, and Ollantaytambo).
On this option, we will also pick you up at 07:00 am from your hotel. The tour starts with a visit to the Textile center of Chinchero, then the Colonial town of Maras. From Maras, we keep going to the nearby Inca site of Moray, a magnificent series of terrace circles set into the ground that was once used by the Incas for experimentation with crops, then the salt mines which have been in use since Pre-Inca times. Water from a subterranean stream is channeled through pools where it evaporates and leaves behind pure salt crystals. With thousands of stark white pools stretching down the valley, the views are amazing. Our final destination is Ollantaytambo ruins where we will spend an hour. After visiting Ollantaytambo, we will go to check in our Hotel, have dinner, and spend the night in a hotel of 2 stars in Ollantaytambo town.
DAY 2: OLLANTAYTAMBO – CHACHABAMBA – MACHU PICCHU
We will pick you up Pick from your hotel in Ollantaytambo and transfer to the train station. 2 hours a Train journey to km 104, along the Urubamba river, a guided tour of the Chachabamba archaeological site, then we hike gradually steep up with an impressive view.
Later on, we hike through the cloud forest, and on the way, we can observe orchids, birds, and waterfalls. After 3 hour's hike, we arrive at Wiñay Wayna Inca ruin, the most well-preserved and beautiful sites. have our Lunch then we continue our trek for 2 more hours to get to the Sun Gate at Machu Picchu. We will enjoy an amazing sunset at the sun gate then we will keep walking to Machupicchu for about 45 minutes. Afterward, we will take the bus down to Aguas Calientes to spend the night in a hotel.
DAY 3: MACHU PICCHU FULL DAY
Day third is the most magical day: Machu Picchu. We will wake up early to take the first bus up to Machu Picchu and see the sunrise over the ruins.
Your guide will spend around 2 hours explaining the highlights of Machu Picchu. Afterward, hike Huaynapicchu if you have booked this option. (This is a separate entrance ticket that costs $65 per person). Finally, you will return to Aguas Calientes and take a train back to Ollantaytambo, and then a bus back to Cusco. Once in Cusco, we will transfer you back to your hotel.
- Private Tourist transportation for the sacred valley tour.
- English-speaking guide for 3 days.
- Hotel of 2 stars in Ollantaytambo(Tunupa Lodge or similar)
- Breakfast, Box lunch, and Dinner for the second day of the Inca Trail. With options for vegetarians, vegans, gluten-free, lactose Intolerance, and any food allergy.
- A porter who will carry your lunch on the second of the Inca Trail, so you will hike light.
- Breakfast - day 3.
- Inca Trail and Machupicchu entrance fees.
- Tourist Ticket to visit Inca Ruins in the Sacred Valley.
- Round Trip Train Ticket Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo
- Private Transportation from the train station of Ollantaytambo to Cusco.
- Emergency oxygen bottle and first aid kit.
- Pre-trek Orientation – briefing (Hotel or Office).
- Three bus tickets Machupicchu-Aguas Calientes-Machupicchu-Aguas(if you don’t use them, we refund you).
- Hotel 3 stars in Aguas Calientes( Tara Machu Picchu or similar).
- Day pack cover to keep you dry your belongings.
- Rain Poncho to cover from the rain.
- Lunch and Dinner in Sacred Valley – Day 1.
- Lunch– Day 3.
ADDITIONAL THINGS TO UPGRADE
- One way Vistadome Ticket is $35
- Round trip Vistadome ticket is $70
WHAT TO BRING FOR SHORT INCA TRAIL SACRED VALLEY
- Original Passport and student cards if you are a student.
- A Hiking/trekking Backpack (21 liters capacity).
- Hiking Poles with rubber tips. You can bring your own or rent it from AB Expeditions.
- Trekking Clothing: Hiking shoes, waterproof pants, waterproof shorts, two shirts, a light sweater, a jacket for rain, and clothes to rest in at the hotel. On the other hand, it is quite comfortable and relaxing for the body to wear light clothes for the walk; for this, waterproof materials are very good, because they enable quick drying from sweat and rain.
- Night in Aguas Calientes: Please bring with you a clean set of clothes to wear after the trekking. Also, you can bring along swimwear and towels if you decide to visit the hot springs in Aguas Calientes.
- Personal Hygiene items: toothpaste. toothbrush, and wet wipes.
- Medicine: If you are taking any medications, please bring them with you. It is also recommended to bring some over-the-counter medicine for altitude sickness (Coramina, Aspirina, Diamox, Sorojchi, Acetazolamide). It is also suggested to bring Anti Blister Gel to avoid getting blisters on your feet and being unable to continue on your trek.
- Digital Camera with external memory (2-4 Gb) (Optional).
- Sunglasses with UV protection.
- Sun Block SPF 60 (UVA-UVB)
- Waterproof Insect Repellent lotion, not spray.
- Swiss Army Knife.
- Water bottle made of flexible plastic. This type of bottle is very easy to carry and does not take up a lot of space. At the same time, they help in our effort to protect the environment.
FREQUENT ASK QUESTION
HOW TO BOOK THE SHORT INCA TRAIL 3 DAYS WITH AB EXPEDITIONS?
In order to book your Inca Trail 3 days with us, click on the BOOK NOW button above, then select the day of your departure, then, fill out all your personal information of each participant and the last step is the payment of your deposit of $150 per person. Once we get your deposit, we will send you a confirmation of your trip
When your Inca Trail 3-day permits are in our hands, we will send you a confirmation that everything is 100% organized. All start dates, once confirmed, are guaranteed.
CAN I STORE MY LUGGAGE AT YOUR OFFICE?
Of course! During the 3 days Inca trail hike, you can store your luggage at our store or at your hotel, whichever is convenient for you. Please bring what you will only need during your Inca Trail 3 days to Machu Picchu.
WHAT ABOUT THE OUTSTANDING BALANCE?
Outstanding balance you can pay us 2 days earlier your trip in USD or soles or if you prefer PayPal at least one week before your journey(a 7% service fee applies). Also, you can pay us with a Credit card (a 5% service fee applies). Please let us know what you prefer. Cash payment MUST be paid 2 days before your trip.
HOW ABOUT THE STUDENT DISCOUNT?
According to Peruvian law, you have to be under 18 years old at the time of your trek to the Inca trail 3 days (if you are 18 or over, you need valid student cards).
- All students from 11 to 17 years old have a discount of $30 USD.
- For children from 2 to 11 years old, a discount is $40 USD.
All students have to send a copy of their passport and student card at the time of their booking to get the student discount. Send us a copy at email@example.com
CAN I CHANGE THE DEPARTURE DATE AFTER THE PERMITS HAVE BEEN PURCHASED?
Unfortunately, it is not possible. The Peruvian government doesn't allow us to change once the three-day Inca trail permits have been bought. Inca Trail permits are not transferable nor refundable. The only information that the government allows us to change is passport numbers.
HOW HARD IS THE SHORT INCA TRAIL?
Day one is very easy and the second day is classified as moderate-difficult, and the third day is easy too. It is recommended to be in good physical condition.
DO I NEED TO BRING MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT ON THE SHORT INCA TRAIL 3 DAYS TO MACHU PICCHU?
Yes! You must bring your original passport and it is very important that it should be the same passport you sent us to book your Short Inca Trail 3 days permit. Your passport will be checked at the Short Inca trail checkpoint, Machu Picchu, and when you board the train.
UPDATING PASSPORT NUMBERS
If you are renewing your passport, go ahead and send us a copy of your old passport to book your Inca trail 3 days permits. If you don't have your old passport, any government issue ID will be accepted, as long as the name is the same. Once you get your new passport. Please send us a copy of your new passport ASAP to change the information on your permit.
WHAT IS THE SCHEDULE OF MY TRAIN TICKET?
We usually book the 06:10 am schedule from Ollantaytambo to Kilometer 104 on day 1 and the return train ticket is at 02:55 pm so you arrive in Cusco at 06:30 pm and you have enough time to sleep and do any tour the next day, like Palcoyo Mountain.
CAN I STAY IN THE SACRED VALLEY FOR MY INCA TRAIL 3 DAYS?
Not, because the tour starts in Cusco.
CAN I BOOK MY OWN HOTEL IN AGUAS CALIENTES AND OLLANTAYTAMBO?
You can book any hotel in Aguas Calientes and Ollantaytambo. It will decrease the price of your hike by $65 per person. If you decide to book your own hotel, don't forget to tell us where you plan to stay so our guide will take you there safely.
IS INCA TRAIL 3-DAY PET FRIENDLY?
Unfortunately, you can't visit Short Inca Trail and Machu Picchu with a dog. Only Guide Dogs are permitted. But you need permits to bring them.
WHAT KIND OF REUSABLE WATER BOTTLES SHOULD WE BRING TO THE INCA TRAIL 3 DAYS?
Starting on March 01st, 2022, single-use plastic water bottles and other plastic waste is prohibited in Inca Trail 3 days. You must bring your own personal reusable water bottles to fill out the wáter. You can buy a bladder or hard shell bottle, or pouch whichever is convenient for you.
IS THERE AN AGE LIMIT FOR THE SHORT INCA TRAIL?
There is not any age limit for the Inca Trail 3-day hike. We at AB Expeditions recommend that the minimum age should be 7 because there is some steep section that would be difficult for Little legs.
HOW MANY KILOS IS IT ALLOWED TO CARRY ON THE SORT INCA TRAIL?
There is no weight limit for you, you can carry heavy or lightweight. However, the porters should carry no more than 20 kilograms.
WHAT TIME WILL WE GET TO MACHU PICCHU?
On day 02, our groups get to the Sun Gate at 2:00 pm approximately, and from sun gate to Machu Picchu takes 45 minutes so you will get to Machu Picchu at 3 pm roughly. You will take a postcard shot then you will take a bus to Aguas Calientes.
HOW MANY DAYS IN ADVANCE SHOULD I ARRIVE TO HIKE THE INCA TRAIL 3 DAYS?
It is recommended to arrive in Cusco at least 2 days prior to your departure, especially if you are coming from sea level. However, if you live in places over 2000 m( 6,561 ft), you can arrive 1 day before your departure.
WHAT IS THE AVERAGE ALTITUDE OF THE INCA TRAIL 3 DAYS?
- Cusco, where we pick you up? It is located 3,500 m (11,251 ft)
- Sacred Valley, where you make the tour. Maximum altitude 3750 m (12,303 ft)
- KM 104(Chachabamba), where we start hiking at 2,170 m (7,120 ft).
- The highest point of Short Inca Trail is at 2,708 m (8,884 ft).
- Machu Picchu, where the short Inca Trail ends, is 2,431m (7,973 ft).
- Aguas Calientes village, where we board the train back to Cusco, is 2,042 m (6,693 ft).
WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO HIKE THE SHORT INCA TRAIL?
The Best time to hike the Short Inca Trail is April to October which is the dry season in the Peruvian Andes. The driest months in Short Inca Trail are May, June, July, and August. But, Inca Trail and Machu Picchu will be very busy with tons of visitors.
The rainy season starts in November and finishes in March. It is possible to hike the short Inca Trail in the rainy season but you need to bring good rain gear.
WHEN IS THE SHORT INCA TRAIL CLOSED?
The short Inca Trail is closed all month of February due to landslides, heavy rain, and maintenance of the trail.
DO YOU INCLUDE PORTERS IN YOUR SHORT INCA TRAIL TOUR?
Porters are included in our Short Inca Trail for 3 days with the hotel. However, they only carry your box lunch, not your belongings. If you want to hire a personal porter, the Price will be $45 per porter. Note: Porters are not allowed all the way to Machu Picchu. They will only go to Wiñayywayna campsite then they go straight to Aguas Calientes where they will leave your belonging.
WHAT CIRCUIT WILL I FOLLOW IN MACHU PICCHU AFTER HIKING THE INCA TRAIL 3 DAYS?
After having the first glimpse of Machu Picchu at the Sungate, you will hike for 45 minutes straight to Guardhouse where you will take a Classical shot of Machu Picchu on day 02 in the afternoon and the next day you will access Machu Picchu by the lower part and you have to follow the Circuit 03 to visit Machu Pichu. So this rule is applied to everyone who hikes the Inca Trail 3-day hike.
ADDITIONAL INFO FOR SACRED VALLEY PLUS SHORT INCA TRAIL 3 DAYS
A maximum of 250 people per day are allowed to access the short Inca Trail at km. 104; This number includes all support staff such as authorized porters, chefs, and Guides and is most tightly controlled; when the short Inca trail reaches its limit of 250 hikers, the Trail is closed off for the day and no further reservations could be made; Booking are not held on the Trail and all permits to trek must be bought a year in advance, if possible.
THINGS TO KNOW
- This Machu Picchu 2-day hike is not recommended for travelers with back problems
- You will have a tour guide during your, Sacred valley, the short Inca trail, and on the Machu Picchu tour.
- Daily departures with a group of 2 or more.
- No departures in February due to trail maintenance.
- There is no access to a wheelchair.
- Don't FORGET THE ESSENTIALS: Original passport, insurance card, personal medications.
- This short Inca trail will have a maximum of 8 travelers
Strikes and roadblocks are often in Peru and can disrupt our short Inca trail to Machu Picchu hike and rail service to and from Machu Picchu. We will do our best that your hike to Machu Picchu continues as planned with some changes.
- If the strike happens on the first day of your short Inca Trail tour, we will cancel the Sacred Valley tour on the first day and you will do Inca Trail 2 days. Of course, we will charge only for Inca Trail 2 Days.
- If the strike happens on the second day, we will take you to Aguas Calientes the first day so you will spend the night in Aguas Calientes instead of Ollantaytambo. And the next day, you will hike an extra 1 hour and a half to Km 104 where your short Inca Trail.
- If the strike happens the day that you finish your 3-day 2 nights Inca Trail. We will send our vans to Hidrolectrica. So you will need to hike extra 2 hours and a half from Aguas Calientes to Hydroelectric. Then we will drive 7 hours to Cusco. We will drop you off at your hotel around 01:00 am.
We recommend you get travel insurance because if you cancel your three-day Machu Picchu hike at the last minute it can reimburse you for your pre-paid, non-refundable short Inca Trail permit. Also when you get sick or hurt while you are far away from home, it can reimburse you for care following a covered medical emergency while traveling.
SHORT INCA TRAIL WEATHER
The weather is unpredictable in the Andes. The dry season in 3 days Inca Trail is from April to October and the rainy season is from November through March, but this does not stop rain from falling in the dry season or the sun from coming out in the rainy season so just be prepared. No matter what season you are hiking the short Inca Trail, make sure that you get rain gear such as a rain jacket, rain pants, poncho, and waterproof gloves. You might experience 4 seasons in only one day too. So you must be prepared. Layers are the key since they are easy to adapt to different temperature changes.
RETURNING FROM MACHU PICHU TO CUSCO.
Returning from Machu Picchu to Cusco needs a lot of logistics. But it is already organized by us.
Bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes, you will take a bus down to Aguas Calientes for about 30 minutes. Buses run every 15 minutes. Then Train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo or Poroy train station. Our guide will give you your train tickets. Make sure to get to the train station 30 minutes earlier.
- The estimated time on the train is 1 hour and a half from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo.
- The estimated time on the train is 3 hours and a half from Aguas Calientes to Poroy.
Once at the train station, our transfer will wait for you with AB Expeditions logo. He/She will then transfer you back to Cusco and then to your hotel.
- The estimated time from Ollantaytambo to Cusco is 1 hour and a half.
- The estimated time from Poroy to Cusco is 40 minutes.
During the short Inca trail 3 days, solo travelers will be paired to share a hotel room with another traveler of the same sex and couples will have a room to themselves.
There is a mandatory pre-departure briefing at our Cusco Office one day before your departure to the sacred valley plus a short Inca Trail at 6 pm. You will meet your tour guide and He will give you detailed information about your hike, a list of what to bring, rental equipment, or questions in general. Our office is located at Marquez Street 250, Second Floor. Office 03. Cuzco, Peru.
what makes us different
We are determined to give our customers the best adventure ever in Peru. Our only question is, will it be yours?
meet our amazing team
We are proud of our employees – some of the world’s top talent – who take pride in what they do and are engaged with our ambitions as a company.
The most affordable price
Let's start your journey!