Rainbow Mountain 2 Day hike Easy Option
This Rainbow Mountain 2-Day hike easy option is for those who don’t like to hike with many people and take it easy. On the first day, you will hike to Ausangate lake pulling your Llamas like a local person and the see majestic Ausangate glacier in front of you, On the second day, we will wake up early and be one of the first people in the Rainbow Mountain.
WHY SHOULD HIKE THE RAINBOW MOUTAIN 2 DAY HIKE WITH US
- We skip the crowds!— All the companies take their customers to Rainbow Mountain at the same time. That means they’re all up at the top at the same time. Hiking our Rainbow Mountain 2-day hike easy option, you will get the Rainbow Mountain before the crowd.
- Our guide always tanks of oxygen which are essential as you get over 5040 meters/16,500 feet above sea level! Not all travel Agencies offer this, so this is definitely something to look out for when choosing the best Rainbow Mountain tour operator.
- You will spend the night surrounded by Alpacas in one of Farmer's Shelters.
- We will have a cooking class in the afternoon on the first day after hiking to the lake. You will learn how to prepare Peruvian food. Also, you will dress in the typical cloths of Alqatary village.
- On day one, you will hike pulling the Llamas like local people do these days.
- We guarantee that you will get to Rainbow Mountain very early and beat the crowd.
- Our itinerary is designated for people who don't want to hike uphills.
- Our van will stay with us all the 2 days, if anyone becomes sick, we take you as soon as posible to a lower altitude.
- We work with all the women of Alqatary village so we benefit them directly.
- The campsite in which we will stay is private so it is only for our groups.
- We don't share the service of Rainbow Mountain 2-day hike with other travel companies.
- Small groups of 2 to 8 people maximum. This fact sets us apart from other travel Agencies that take 20 people in a group.
- AB Expeditions is A 100% locally owned Travel Company and fully licensed Rainbow Mountain 2-day operator.
RAINBOW MOUNTAIN 2-DAY HIKE ITINERARY
Day 1: Cusco – Alqatari – Ausangate Lake - Alqatary Campsite.
We will come to pick you up at the hotel at 05:00 am for your Rainbow Mountain 2-Day hike easy option and drive for 4 hours to Alqatari Village. Our cook will prepare breakfast. After eating our meal we will choose the llama that we wike with. We will pass local houses, lush pampas, Colorful Mountain, and hundreds of llamas and alpacas.
Our goal is to reach Ausangate Lake from where we will have an amazing view of Ausangate peak (the highest mountain of Cusco 6,370meters/20,000 feet) and we will touch the Crystal water of the lake After enjoying the glacier and the Ausangate water we come back to our private campsite and have nutritious lunch at our dining room. In the afternoon our cook will teach us how to prepare Peruvian food then we will dress in the typical cloths of Altari Village. Then we will have our dinner As the sun sets we will go to our room to spend the night. Later in the evening, we will come to see a memorable night sky full of southern constellations.
- Hiking Distance: 10km/ 6,21 miles.
- Trekking hour: 3 hours roughly.
- Difficulty: Easy to Moderate.
- Campsite Elevation: 4,500 meters / 14,763 feet.
- Accommodation: Mountain Huts.
Day 2: Alqatari – Rainbow Mountain – Red Valley - Cusco
We will wake up then have breakfast then take the van. We will drive for 1 hour to the Rainbow Mountain trailhead. Around 7 am, we will start hiking to Rainbow Mountain. It will take us like 45 minutes to get to the Summit.
Once you reach Vinicunca, you will take as many pictures as you can, explore the mountain with your tour guide, and really enjoy the colorful mountains around you. it truly is a spectacular site. If you have still some energy left, you can hike to the Red Valley. Here you hike down to the Trailhead, then get the van. We will drive for 40 minutes to the Lunch spot called Ccanchipacha. celebrate a successful trip, and enjoy your amazing lunch before getting back to Cusco (3 hours and a half). We will come back to Cusco around 4 pm.
- Walking Distance: 3 km/ 1,86 miles.
- hiking hour: 2 hours roughly.
- Difficulty: Moderate
- English-speaking tour guide
- Professional cook
- Llamas which carry your snacks to the Ausangate lake.
- All food on the trek incorporates traditional Peruvian cuisine as well as modern fusion cuisine and specific dietary needs.
- Boiled water and snacks every day.
- Table, stools, and all cutlery.
- Mountain huts owned by local people of the área.
- First aid kit, including oxygen.
- A pre-trek briefing.
- Entrance fee to private lands and Rainbow Mountain.
- Private transportation to and from your hotel in Cusco.
- 10 kilograms of your personal belonging.
- sleeping bag.
- Tips for guides, cooks, and horseman.
WHAT TO BRING FOR THE RAINBOW MOUNTAIN 2-DAY HIKE
- Backpack of 25 liters with a Rain cover.
- Extra hiking socks (wool is best).
- Trekking pants and rain pants.
- Running shoes to wear in the evenings.
- Camping pillow.
- Water-resistant hiking shoes.
- Warm clothing (thermal underwear, fleece, hat, and gloves).
- Rain gear (poncho).
- Synthetic or cotton clothing (trousers, shorts, t-shirts).
- Sunhat and sunglasses.
- Sun cream.
- Lip Balm.
- Camera/ extra battery.
- Water bottles.
- Basic medications.
- Hiking sticks.
- Personal items.
- Cash (if you’d like to purchase souvenirs).
THINGS TO KNOW
- Don’t forget wáter!. Drinking water will help to prevent altitude sickness. We highly recommend you bring 2 liters per person for the first day until lunch. After lunch, we will provide you with boiled water all the time.
- The best time of the day to visit Vinicunca Mountain is in the morning or afternoons hours, either right after sunrise, or right before sunset.
- The hike to the top is no joke. Constantly changing weather conditions, combined with high altitude, can be a challenge for experienced hikers. But if done right it’s manageable even for those who don’t hike much.
- In the rainy season from December to Machu, if the weather on the first day is good, we will take you to Rainbow Mountain on the first day and to the second day to the Ausangate lake.
- Higher elevation also means colder, nearly freezing temperatures, so be prepared, and make sure to bring very warm clothes.
- Bring coca leaves to fight off altitude sickness
- It is not recommended to go to Rainbow Mountain in the afternoon in the rainy season because of the lighting. Since the high concentration of minerals. There is a high chance to get stricken by lighting.
- Make sure you get used to Cusco’s altitude prior to your hike to Vinicunca Mountain. This is by far the best insurance for a smooth and enjoyable trip. It is recommended you spend at least 2 days in Cusco prior to the hike.
- Go to sleep early and try to avoid drinking alcohol or partying the night before, because we will pick you up at 5:00 am and it will be very difficult to hike with a hangover-
- If you have altitude sickness symptoms, descend as quickly as you can. It’s nothing to mess around with.
- Try to go all the way up to the viewpoint. You will miss a 360° view if you don't go all the way up.