SHORT INCA INCA TRAIL WITH CAMPING 2 DAYS
Our short day Inca Trail with camping includes six hours of hiking along the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. We will start our first day with a 5 hours hike gradually uphill to Winaywayna Inca ruins where you will enjoy your box lunch. From there we will hike one more hour to the Sun Gate(Intipunku) from where you will see Machu Picchu from a distance, then take the bus to our private campsite. And the next day very early morning, you will visit Machu Picchu and you will enjoy the sunrise over the ruins.
This short Inca trail 2 days with camping allows you to visit the most beautiful Inca site such as Chachabamba and Winaywayna, and then enter walking through the Sun Gate as the Incas did. You are going to board a bus down to Puente Ruinas Campsite and have an unforgettable dinner prepared by our professional chef, and the next day you will spend at Machu Picchu (Seven Wonders of the Modern World) with a private guide.
We follow the "Health Guidelines for COVID-19 for Inca Trail 2 days" issued by the Peruvian government.
Why should you hike the Inca trail 2 days with Camping with AB Expeditions?
- We are a practical, punctual, reliable Travel company, welcoming individuals or groups. Check out our reviews on trip advisor.
- We include porters who will carry your lunch, so you will hike light.
- You will ride the same train with your guide until the short Inca trail trailhead.
- We don't share the service with other travel companies.
- Small groups of 2 to 8 people maximum. This fact sets us apart from other travel companies that bring bigger groups.
- AB Expeditions is A 100% locally owned Travel Company and fully licensed Inca Trail operator.
- Our Tour Guides pride themselves on being up-to-date and have a comprehensive program of continual professional development. We love showing what a fascinating and amazing Inca trail is.
- Your return train ticket is at 02:55 pm from Aguas Calientes. Therefore you arrive to Cusco early so you will sleep enough to do any tour the next day.
SHORT INCA TRAIL WITH CAMPING ITINERARY
Day 1: Cusco - Kilometer 104 – Wiñaywayna - Sun Gate - Puente Ruinas
We will pick you up at 04:00 am from Cusco to start the Inca Trail with camping. We drive for about an hour and a half until Ollantaytambo town where will have boxbreakfast then board our train until kilometer 104(Starting point of the hike). Once we disembark the train, we will meet our chef and porters who will carry our lunch and extra belongings to the campsite
Our trek today takes us along the most wonderful stretch of the Classic Inca Trail 4 Days. We’ll visit beautiful Inca sites, see a variety of flora and fauna, and get to take in the stunning panoramas of the Andes. We will hike 10km of the trail. Our hike begins with a visit to Chachabama ruins and then works its way up along a paved Inca trail to the archeological site of Winay Wayna before continuing to Machu Picchu via the Sun Gate (Inti Punku). We will have our box lunch. After enjoying our meal. we’ll hike through the lush and green cloud forest that covers the mountain and get to see a wide variety of plants, flowers, orchids, and birds along the way. We might see some larger mammals such as Viscachas (rabbit-like Chinchillas) and Spectacled Bears (if we are very lucky).
After a full day of hiking, we’ll get to the Sun Gate (Inti Punku) in the afternoon and get our first views of Machu Picchu spread out on the mountain ridge below. The light in the afternoon is great for photos and with fewer tourists on the site, it’s a perfect time to take beautiful pictures of the site. After passing through the Sun Gate we’ll keep hiking for about 45 minutes to get to Machu Picchu where we will catch the bus for about 20 minutes to our campsite Puente Ruinas where we will have our dinner and the night in our tent.
- Highlights: hiking the original Inca Trail, Visit Wiñaywayna ruins, you will see the sunset over Machu Picchu, camping at the foot of Machu Picchu
- Walking Distance: 15 km / 9.32 miles
- Meals: breakfast, lunch, and dinner Included
- Trailhead Elevation: 2,000 m / 6561 ft.
- Highest point: the top elevation is Sun Gate 2,720 m/8923 ft.
- The campiste Elevation: 1,900 m/ 6233 ft.
- Weather: Hot and humid
Day 2: Puente Inca -Machu Picchu - Ollantaytambo - Cusco
We will wake you up early with a hot tea, after that you will have time to pack your belongings then you will enjoy the delicious breakfast prepared by our professional chef. After enjoying our delicious meal, we will walk to the bus station for about 30 minutes. We will wait for about 20 to 30 minutes in line to take the bus up to Machu Picchu. Of course, our guide will be there all the time to head your way.
The first bus leave at 5:30 am from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu, so you will be at the entrance at 6 am. Again, you will show your Passport at the checkpoint and then enter Machu Picchu. Our guide will take you to the strategic point from where you see Macchu Picchu in its splendor and you will experience how the sunlight hit the Machu Picchu Sanctuary. After taking the best pictures, we will have 2 hours of guided tour in the citadel in which You will learn about history, flora, fauna, geology, astronomy, architecture, etc. After the explanation, you will come back to the exit and take a bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes which takes 30 minutes. Once you are in Aguas Calientes, you will have time to explore the town and have lunch until 14:25 pm then take the train to Ollantaytambo at 14:55 or 15:20. You will arrive at Ollantaytambo around 17:00 our driver will take to Cusco so we will drop you off in your hotel 19:30 roughly.
- Highlight: Visit Machu Picchu early in the morning, and enjoy the sunrise over the Citadel.
- Temperature: Warm and humid.
- Meals: Only Breakfast included.
- Aguas Calientes elevation: 2040 m / 6692 ft.
- Machu Picchu Elevation: 2430 m/ 7972 ft.
- A personal porter to carry your 7 kg of your personal belongings
- Pick up and drop off at your hotel.
- Trail ticket of 06:10 am from Ollantaytambo to km 104 (the starting point of the walk).
- English-speaking guide with conduct radio communication.
- Foam mattresses.
- Professional chef
- Kitchen equipment.
- Dining tent with chairs and tables.
- Portable environmental biodegradable toilet (The Pett).
- Meal service at the campsites (2 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 1 dinner, 1 snack). With options for vegetarians, gluten-free, lactose Intolerance and any food allergy.
- 4 season Tents for two people (tent with capacity for 3 people used as doubles - Kayla Doite).
- Porter service. As detailed in the table authorized by the Ministry of Culture. (To carry our camping equipment and food) we never overload our porters and they have the proper equipment.
- Inca Trail Permits and Machu Picchu ticket.
- Bus ticket from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes on day 01.
- Round trip bus ticket from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu and viceversa on day 02.
- Satellite phone.
- Return Expeditions train ticket back (14:55 Hrs.) To Ollantaytambo.
- Private transportation from Ollantaytambo train station to Cusco.
- Emergency oxygen bottle and first aid kit.
- Pre-departure Inca Trail briefing, presented by the tour guides at 6:00 pm at the office a day before.
- Wake-up tea. Hot herbal tea is brought to your tent on the second day.
- A duffle bag, where you put your 7 kg / 14 pounds of personal items per person (personal cares, personal items, and sleeping bag are within this 7 kg / 14 pounds).
- We provide hot water bins to help our clients clean and feel good at night.
- Rain Poncho to cover you in the rain.
- Two-hour guided tour in Machu Picchu
- Boiled water to fill in your water bottles or Camelback (your chef will provide clean water after each meal)
- Day pack cover to keep you dry your belongings.
- Huayna Picchu Moutain: It is $65USD
- Machu Picchu Mountain:It is $65 USD
- Round trip: $70
- One way: $50
- Sleeping Bag: It is $5
- Walking Sticks: It is $5
- Lunch - Day 2.
- Tips (optional).
WHAT TO BRING FOR THE SHORT INCA TRAIL WITH CAMPING
- Original Passport and student cards if you are a student.
- A Hiking/trekking Backpack (21 liters capacity).
- Hiking Poles with rubber tips. You can bring your own or rent it from AB Expeditions.
- Trekking Clothing: Hiking shoes, waterproof pants, waterproof shorts, two shirts, a light sweater, a jacket for rain, and clothes to rest in at the hotel. On the other hand, it is quite comfortable and relaxing for the body to wear light clothes for the walk; for this, waterproof materials are very good, because they enable quick drying from sweat and rain.
- Night in Aguas Calientes: Please bring with you a clean set of clothes to wear after the trekking. Also, you can bring along swimwear and towels if you decide to visit the hot springs in Aguas Calientes.
- Personal Hygiene items: toothpaste. toothbrush, and wet wipes.
- Medicine: If you are taking any medications, please bring them with you. It is also recommended to bring some over-the-counter medicine for altitude sickness (Coramina, Aspirina, Diamox, Sorojchi, Acetazolamide). It is also suggested to bring Anti Blister Gel to avoid getting blisters on your feet and being unable to continue on your trek.
- Digital Camera with external memory (2-4 Gb) (Optional).
- Sunglasses with UV protection.
- Sun Block SPF 60 (UVA-UVB) is waterproof and sporty.
- Waterproof Insect Repellent lotion, not spray.
- Swiss Army Knife.
- Water bottle made of flexible plastic. This type of bottle is very easy to carry and does not take up a lot of space. At the same time, they help in our effort to protect the environment.
ADDITIONAL INFO FOR INCA TRAIL 2 DAYS WITH CAMPING
A maximum of 250 people per day are allowed to access the short Inca Trail at km. 104; This number includes all support staff such as authorized porters, cooks, and Guides and is most tightly checked; when the short Inca trail reaches its limit of 250 travelers, the Trail is closed off for the day and no further reservations could be made. All the permits to hike must be bought 4 months in advance, if possible.
THINGS TO KNOW
- This Machu Picchu 2-day with camping is not recommended for travelers with back problems
- You will have a tour guide during your short Inca trail and on the Machu Picchu tour.
- Daily departures with a group of 2 or more.
- No departures in February due to trail maintenance.
- There is no access to a wheelchair.
- Don't forget the essentials: Original passport, and personal medications.
- This short Inca Trail with camping will have a maximum of 8 travelers
Strikes and roadblocks are frequent in Peru and can disrupt our short Inca trail with camping and rail service to and from Machu Picchu. We will do our best that your hike to Machu Picchu continues as planned with some changes.
If the strike happens on the first day of your short Inca Trail with camping, we will take you to Aguas Calientes the night before your departure date. You will spend the night in Aguas Calientes in a hotel which will be at your expense. And the next day, you will hike an extra 1 hour and a half to Km 104 where your 2-day Inca Trail with camping starts.
If the strike happens the day that you finish your 2-day 1 night Inca Trail. We will send our vans from Cusco to Hidrolectrica. So you will need to hike extra 2 hours from Aguas Calientes to Hydroelectric. Then we will drive 7 hours to Cusco. We will drop you off at your hotel around 11:00 pm.
Another option we have is if the strike happens on the second day. We will visit Machu Picchu in the afternoon of the first day after hiking the short Inca Trail. So you will take the train at 09:00 pm back to Cusco the same that you start your Inca Trail 2 days with camping. Of course, we will charge as Inca Trail 1 day.
We really recommend you get travel insurance because if you cancel your two-day Machu Picchu with camping at the last minute it can reimburse you for your pre-paid, non-refundable short Inca Trail permit. Also when you get sick or hurt while you are far away from home, it can reimburse you for care following a covered medical emergency while traveling.
SHORT INCA TRAIL WEATHER
The weather is unpredictable in the Andes. The dry season in short Inca Trail is from April to October and the rainy season is from November through March, but this does not stop rain from falling in the dry season or the sun from coming out in the rainy season so just be prepared. No matter what season you are hiking the short Inca Trail with camping, make sure that you get rain gear such as a rain jacket, rain pants, poncho, and waterproof gloves. You might experience 4 seasons in only one day too. So you must be prepared. Layers are the key since they are easy to adapt to different temperature changes.
RETURNING FROM MACHU PICHU TO CUSCO.
Returning from Machu Picchu to Cusco needs a lot of logistics. But it is already organized by us.
Bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes, you will take a bus down to Aguas Calientes for about 30 minutes. Buses run every 15 minutes. Then Train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo or Poroy train station. Our guide will give you your train tickets. Make sure to get to the train station 30 minutes earlier.
- The estimated time on the train is 1 hour and a half from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo.
- The estimated time on the train is 3 hours and a half from Aguas Calientes to Poroy.
Once at the train station, our transfer will wait for you with AB Expeditions logo. He/She will then transfer you back to Cusco and then to your hotel.
- The estimated time from Ollantaytambo to Cusco is 1 hour and a half.
- The estimated time from Poroy to Cusco is 40 minutes.
During the short Inca trail 2 days with camping, solo travelers will be paired to share a tent with another traveler of the same sex and couples will have a room to themselves.
There is a mandatory pre-departure briefing at our Cusco Office one day before your departure at 6 pm. You will meet your guide and He/She will explain to you detailed information about your hike, a list of what to bring, rental equipment, or questions in general. Our office is located at Marquez Street 250, Inti Killa Gallery, Second Floor. Office 03. Cusco, Peru.
Tipping is becoming very common on Inca Trail Trail 2 days. On the second day in the morning, we will say goodbye to our amazing porters and chefs. This is the time that you will give a tip to all of them, please. Anything extra is always really appreciated. Please know that tipping is not Mandatory and that you should never feel forced into this.
Usually, our customers pool their tipping money together for the chef and porters. For your tour guide, you tip after your guided tour at Machu Picchu. You decide the amount of money based on your experience with them. Soles is better for Our Porters and Chefs. Guides can receive U.S. dollars or Soles without any problem.
- Tips could be for our porters: 20 – 50 soles per porter.
- Tips could be for our Cooks: 50 – 80 soles per cook.
Our Inca Trail 2 days with camping group are made up of all different types of people, with many trekking skills and ages. Once you book a group service, you agree that some people may be slower or faster than you. Each of you will go at your own pace for the trek, and our tour guide will work with the group to spend time with everybody.
FREQUENT ASKED QUESTIONS
HOW TO BOOK INCA TRAIL 2 DAYS WITH CAMPING WITH AB EXPEDITIONS?
In order to book your Inca Trail 2 days with camping with us, click on the BOOK NOW button above, then select the day of your departure, then, fill out all your personal information of each participant and the last step is the payment of your deposit of $150 per person. Once we receive your deposit, we will send you a confirmation of your trip
Also, you will find on our booking form some extras such as Huayna Picchu Mountain, Machu Picchu, walking sticks, and a sleeping bag. For the Huaya Picchu and Machu Picchu Mountain, you need to book in advance because those tickets run out in advance like the Inca Trail permits. The walking sticks and sleeping bag, you can book one day before your departure at our office. We have plenty of them to rent.
When your Inca trail permits are in our hands, we will send you a confirmation that everything is 100% organized. All start dates, once confirmed, are guaranteed.
CAN I STORE MY LUGGAGE AT YOUR OFFICE?
Yes! During the 2 days Inca trail hike with camping, you can store your luggage at our storage or at your hotel, whichever is more convenient for you. Please bring what you will only need during your Short Inca Trail with camping to Machu Picchu.
WHAT ABOUT THE OUTSTANDING BALANCE?
The outstanding balance can be made in cash 2 days earlier your trip in USD or soles. Also, you can pay us with a Credit card (a 5% service fee applies). Please let us know what you prefer. Cash payment MUST be paid 2 days prior to your trip.
HOW ABOUT THE STUDENT DISCOUNT?
According to Peruvian law, you have to be under 18 years old at the time of your hike to the Inca trail 2 days with camping (if you are 18 or over, you need valid student cards). Below is a sample of a valid student card
- All students from 11 to 17 years old have a discount of $30 USD.
- For children from 2 to 11 years old, a discount is $40 USD.
All students have to send a copy of their passport and student card at the time of their booking to get the student discount. Send us a copy at email@example.com
MAY I CHANGE THE DEPARTURE DATE AFTER THE PERMITS HAVE BEEN PURCHASED?
Unfortunately, it is not possible. The Peruvian government doesn't allow us to change once the two-day Inca trail with camping permits has been bought. Inca Trail permits are not transferable nor refundable. The only information that the government allows us to change is passport numbers.
HOW HARD IS THE SHORT INCA TRAIL?
This hike is classified as moderate-difficult, it’s recommended to be in good physical condition.
HOW DOES IT WORK IF I BOOK HUAYNA PICCHU MOUNTAIN?
For our customers who hike the Inca trail 2-day trek with camping, we will always book the 09 – 10 am Schedule for Huayna Picchu Mountain. You will get to Machu Picchu at 6 am on the second day. So you will have a guided tour of Machu Picchu citadel from 06 until 08:30 am. Then you will enter Huayna Picchu at 09:00 am. This hike takes around 2 hour and a half roughly. Therefore You will finish this hike at 12:00 roughly. Then you will take the bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes which takes around 30 minutes. So you will be in Aguas Calientes 12:30 pm. You will have time to eat your lunch until 02:50 pm.
When you hike Huayna Picchu Mountain, we always book the 15:20 train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo. Therefore you will get back to Cusco around 19:30.
Note: The 09 am and 10 am Huayna Picchu ticket runs out quickly, so it is better to book the Huayna Picchu together with your 2-day Inca trail permits in Advance.
HOW DOES IT WORK IF I BOOK MACHU PICCHU MOUNTAIN?
In case you book the Machu Picchu Mountain, we book the Schedule of 08 – 09 am. So you will have a guided tour of Machu Picchu citadel from 6 to 8 am then you need to exit Machu Picchu, use the toilet, and reenter Machu Picchu then you need to walk for 10 minutes until the Machu Picchu Mountain checkpoint. You will access the Mountain at 8:45 am. This hike takes 3 hours roughly so you will be back in Machu Pichu at 12 pm then you will take the bus to Aguas Calientes which takes 30 minutes. You will be in Aguas Calientes around 12:30 then you will have time to explore the town and have lunch until 14:25 pm.
IS THE MACHU PICCHU TICKET INCLUDED IN INCA TRAIL 2 TREK WITH CAMPING?
Yes, it is Included Machu Picchu ticket.
IS THERE ANY SPECIFIC SCHEDULE TO VISIT MACHU PICCHU WHEN I HIKE INCA TRAIL 2 DAYS WITH CAMPING?
There is no specific Schedule. With those tickets, you can visit any time of the day. We take our groups on the first Schedule at 06 am because you beat the crowd and see the sun rise over the Inca site. However, if the group decides to go later then we can take you later.
DO I NEED TO BRING MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT ON THE SHORT INCA TRAIL 2 DAYS WITH CAMPING TO MACHU PICCHU?
Yes! You must bring your original passport and it is very important that it should be the same passport you sent us to book your Short Inca Trail permit. Your passport will be checked at the Short Inca trail checkpoint, Machu Picchu, and when you take the train.
UPDATING PASSPORT NUMBERS
If you are renewing your passport, go ahead and email us a copy of your old passport to reserve your short Inca trail permits. If you don't have your old Passport anymore, any government issue ID will be accepted, as long as the name is the same of your passport. Once you obtain your new passport. Please email us a copy of your new passport ASAP to change the information on your permit.
WHAT IS THE SCHEDULE OF MY TRAIN TICKET?
We usually book the 06:10 am schedule from Ollantaytambo to Kilometer 104 on day 1 and the return train ticket is at 02:55 pm so you get to Cusco at 06:30 pm and you have enough time to sleep and do any tour the next day, like Palcoyo Mountain.
CAN I STAY IN THE SACRED VALLEY FOR MY INCA TRAIL 2 DAYS WITH CAMPING?
Yes, you can stay in Urubamba or Ollantaytambo. by staying in the Sacred Valley, your pickup will be 1 hour and a half after the Cusco pick up so you will sleep more.
IS INCA TRAIL 2-DAY WITH CAMPING PET FRIENDLY?
Unfortunately, It is not allowed a pet in Short Inca Trail and Machu Picchu. Only Guide Dogs are allowed. But you need permits to bring them.
WHAT KINDS OF REUSABLE WATER BOTTLES SHOULD WE BRING TO THE INCA TRAIL 2 DAYS WITH CAMPING?
Starting on March 01st, 2022, single-use plastic water bottles and other plastic waste are not allowed in Short Inca Trail. You must bring your own personal reusable water bottles to fill out the wáter. You can buy a bladder or hard shell bottle, or pouch whichever is convenient for you.
IS THERE AN AGE LIMIT FOR THE SHORT INCA TRAIL WITH CAMPING?
There is not any age limit for the Inca Trail 2-day hike with camping. We at AB Expeditions recommend that the minimum age should be 7 because there is some steep section that would be difficult for Little Legs.
HOW MANY KILOS IS IT ALLOWED TO CARRY ON THE SHORT INCA TRAIL WITH CAMPING?
There is no weight limit for you, you can carry heavy or lightweight. However, the porters should carry no more than 20 kilograms.
WHAT TIME WILL WE GET TO MACHU PICCHU?
On day 01, our groups reach the Sun Gate at 2:00 pm roughly, and from sun gate to Machu Picchu takes 45 minutes so you will get to Machu Picchu at 3 pm roughly. You will take a postcard shot then you will board the tourist bus to Aguas Calientes.
HOW MANY DAYS IN ADVANCE SHOULD I ARRIVE TO CUSCO?
It is recommended to arrive in Cusco at least 2 days prior to your departure, especially if you are coming from sea level. However, if you live in places over 2000 m( 6,561 ft), you can arrive 1 day before your departure.
WHAT IS THE AVERAGE ALTITUDE OF THE INCA TRAIL 2 DAYS WITH CAMPING?
- Cusco, where we pick you up. It is located 3,500 m (11,251 ft)
- KM 104(Chachabamba), where we start hiking at 2,170 m (7,120 ft).
- The highest point of Short Inca Trail is at 2,708 m (8,884 ft).
- Machu Picchu, where the short Inca Trail ends, is 2,431m (7,973 ft).
- Aguas Calientes village, where we take the train back to Cusco, is 2,042 m (6,693 ft).
WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO HIKE THE SHORT INCA TRAIL WITH CAMPING?
The Best time to hike the Short Inca Trail camping is April to October which is the dry season in the Peruvian Andes. The driest months are May, June, July, and August. But, Inca Trail and Machu Picchu will be very busy with tons of visitors.
The wet season begins in November and finishes in March. It is possible to hike the short Inca Trail in the wet season, but you need to bring good rain gear.
WHEN IS THE SHORT INCA TRAIL CLOSED?
The short Inca Trail is closed all month of February due to maintenance of the trail and bridges.
DO YOU INCLUDE PORTERS IN YOUR SHORT INCA TRAIL TOUR?
Porters are included in our Short Inca Trail 2 day with camping. They will wait for you at the trailhead.
Note: Porters are not allowed all the way to Machu Picchu. They will only go to Wiñayywayna campsite then they go straight to Aguas Calientes where they will take your belonging.
CAN I HIKE THE SHORT INCA TREK WITHOUT A TOUR GUIDE?
You cant enter the short Inca Trail without hiring a registered travel Company. You must be accompanied by a tour guide to hike the short Inca Trail.
WHAT CIRCUIT WILL I FOLLOW IN MACHU PICCHU AFTER HIKING THE SHORT INCA TRAIL WITH CAMPING?
After having the first glimpse of Machu Picchu from the Sungate, you will hike for 45 minutes straight to Guardhouse where you will take a Classical shot of Machu Picchu on day 01 in the afternoon and the next day you will access Machu Picchu by the lower part and you have to follow the Circuit 03 to visit Machu Pichu. So this rule is applied to everyone who hikes the Inca Trail 2-day hike with camping.
2 day inc trail with camping video
what makes us different
We are determined to give our customers the best adventure ever in Peru. Our only question is, will it be yours?
meet our amazing team
We are proud of our employees – some of the world’s top talent – who take pride in what they do and are engaged with our ambitions as a company.