Salkantay Trek 4 days
The Salkantay trek 4 days is perfect for those who love to see a wider variety of landscapes from rain forest to snowcapped peaks. You will pass by snowy mountains, see a sacred Inca mountain, sub-tropical jungle below Machu Picchu, and of course we will visit pristine, bright-blue Humantay lake. Since the Salkantay route has fewer restrictions rather than the classic Inca Trail, it can provide a “back door” trek to Machu Picchu.
- The Salkantay hike is definitely one of the best adventures that you are going to have in Peru. Not only you can witness the ancient Inca trails, but you will also enjoy amazing views and hike through the rainforest.
- After the Classic Inca Trail, the Salkantay Trek is the second most popular route to Machu Picchu and lesser-trodden. Here you can have your own fun and experience in the Andes. You take your backpack and explore these vast mountain ranges, meet new courageous people, and have cool campsites under a beautiful night starry sky with the Milky way.
- The hike alongside the splendid Salkantay Mountain, Humantay Mountain, and the arrival at the Llacta of Machu Picchu is one of the best experiences known to mankind.
- The hike is ideal for nature explorers, couples, friends, nature lovers, and intrepid travelers.
- See natural bridges, orchids, hot springs, glaciers, waterfalls, wildlife, and rain forest.
- Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu has been chosen as one of the 25 best Treks in the world, by the National Geographic Adventure Travel Magazine
- Camping with fewer travelers to make your own trip and have the best look at these unbelievable mountains.
Why you hike Salkantay trek 4 Days with us?
- The best itinerary. We organize our trip differently than the conventional Salkantay Trek tour companies, our groups spend the night in a proper tent in remote areas to enjoy nature much better.
- The best campsite on the first night. Our first campsite is close to Salkantay Mountain so you will see the sunset over the Salkantay Mountain.
- We are a practical, punctual, reliable Travel company, welcoming individuals or groups. Check out our reviews on trip advisor.
- Satellite phones. Our guide brings the satellite in our Salkantay 4 day hike. We want you to stay in touch with your loved ones at all times.
- We don't overload our pack horses. We stand as the only Travel Agency offering Salkantay Trek 4 days, distinguished by our commitment to preventing the mistreatment of animals. In practice, this translates to our pack horses bearing a load that does not exceed 50 kilograms (equivalent to 100 pounds).
- Our horsemen are treated with respect. They receive all their equipment for free from our Company AB Expeditions to work on the Salkantay trek 4 days. We provide them a fair salary, a decent tent with a pad, proper meals, trekking shoes, hiking pants, and a Winter hut. We care for their health, well-being, and the health of their families, and we are committed to social projects to improve their lives.
- Top-notch equipment. We provide you with Eureka Tent, Mountain wear Sleeping bags, Black Diamond trekking poles, and sleeping pads. We only use top brands and quality to guarantee ache-less nights up in the mountains.
- We don't share our group of Salkantay trek 4 days with other companies.
- Small groups. 2 to 8 people maximum. This fact sets us apart from other tour companies that take bigger groups.
- Locally owned. AB Expeditions is A 100% locally owned Travel Company and fully licensed Salkantay trek operator.
- Highly Trained Guide. Our Tour Guides pride themselves on being up-to-date and have a comprehensive program of continuing professional development. We love showing what a fascinating and amazing Salkantay trek is.
- We offer a group discount. If you are more than 3 people, we will give you discounts. Send us an email.
- We pay on time. At AB Expeditions, guides, driver, horsemen, and Cooks receive their salaries as soon as they finish their job.
- Your return train ticket on day 4 is at 02:55 pm from Aguas Calientes. Therefore you arrive at Cusco early so you will sleep enough to do any tour the next day.
SALKANTAY TREK 4 DAYS ITINERARY
DAY 1: Cusco – Mollepata – Humantay Lake – Salkantaypampa
We will pick you up at your hotel around 05:00 am. We proceeded to drive nearly 4 hours to Anta–Mollepata. During the bus ride, you can observe the white snowcapped mountains of Salkantay and Veronica: the Holy Gods of the Incas. Also, you will glimpse the spectacular views of the upper part and lower valleys with colorful landscapes.
After 4 hours of driving, we will make the stop in Soraypampa town, where there are toilet facilities and we will have breakfast. There we will meet with our support staff, organize all the equipment, horses, and mules and we will have an introductory meeting. At approximately 9:30 a.m. we will start our trek to Humantay Lake (4200 m.a.s.l). It takes 3 hours of hiking round trip.
Once we reach the lake, we can observe the Humantay glacier, Humantay Lake. We will spend about an hour there and come back to Soraypampa where we will have our lunch prepared by our cook. After our meal, we will keep hiking to Salkantaypampa where we will spend the night. Salkantaypampa is located in the middle of the glacier so during the night it is so dark with no ambient light making it a perfect spot to appreciate the constellations in the sky.
- Walking Distance: 10km/ 6,21 miles.
- Hiking hour: 5 hours roughly.
- Trailhead Elevation: 3,920 meters / 12,860 feet.
- Difficulty: Moderate to Difficult.
- Campsite Elevation: 4,220 meters / 13,779 feet.
- Accommodation: Tents.
DAY 2: Soraypampa – Salkantay Pass – Huayramachay – Ccollpampa
Early wakeup call at 5:00 am with coca tea brought to your tent. Afterward, we pack up our belongings, enjoy our breakfast, and immediately begin hiking up to the highest point of the Salkantay trail (4620 masl – 15,255 ft). The distance is 3 km, and we should complete it in 3 hours. During the ascent through the rocky valley, we can observe the magnificent Salkantay peak and may even see chinchillas on the trail (6217 masl – 20,341 ft). Once we reach the top of the trail, we will enjoy spectacular views of the mountains and the imposing snowy peaks of the Salkantay, Humantay, and Pumasillo.
Salkantay is considered the second-highest mountain in the Cusco region and one of the main Inca Gods known as “Apu Salkantay”. Hiking to the top is the most difficult part of the entire trek. You will feel so accomplished! The next 3 hours are spent heading downhill on the serpent trail along gravel and rocky paths to reach Huayracmachay, our lunch spot. In the afternoon we will arrive at the upper part of the rain forest, also called a “cloud forest”. We will cover 9 km in 3 hours until we to get Challway Village (2900 masl – 9,514 ft) our base campsite. During the second half of the day during the descent, we will observe the thick forest which is decorated with colorful orchids and native plants. The majority of the year the weather is warm and pleasant in this area.
- Walking Distance: 19km/ 11,80 miles.
- Hiking hour: 10 hours roughly.
- Trailhead Elevation: 4,220 meters / 13,779 feet.
- Difficulty: Moderate to Difficult.
- Highest Point: 4,650 meters / 15,235 feet.
- Accommodation: Tents.
- Campsite Elevations: 2900 meters/ 9,514 feet.
DAYS 3: Collpapampa – Lucmabamba – Aguas Calientes
Around 5:30 am wake up call with coca tea! Next, we have breakfast and afterward, start hiking straight to la Playa; walking through the thick jungle and following the riverbank of the Salkantay River on a gradual trail. On the route, we stopped at several family hamlets to enjoy the local fruit and vegetables (passion fruit, banana, coffee, avocado, mango, orange, and papaya). If we are lucky, we will be able to observe the famous bird called “the Cock of the Rocks”.
The trail distance is 16 km and the hiking time is 7 hours until we reach Lucmabamba where we will have our delicious lunch and then try the fresh coffee. Lucmabamba is a small town surrounded by coffee trees and can provide the basic facilities (toilet, electricity, shopping, and souvenirs) After having lunch, we will take a local van for an hour to Hydroelectric from there, we will the train all the way to Aguas Calientes. Once in town, we check into our hotel, go out to dinner then overnight.
- Walking Distance: 14km/ 8,699 miles.
- Hiking hour: 6 hours roughly.
- Trailhead Elevation: 2,900 meters / 9,514 feet.
- Difficulty: Moderate.
- Accommodation: Hotel of 3 stars in Aguas Calientes
- Train from Hidro to Aguas Calientes: 45 minutes.
DAY 4: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Ollantaytambo – Cusco
Day four is the most magical day: Machu Picchu. We will wake up early to take the bus to Machu Machu Picchu. Upon arrival at the Mapi checkpoint, we will show our Passports at the entrance. Then hike straight to the guardhouse which is located in the classical picture place. We will take a postcard picture of Machu Picchu and then follow Circuit 2.
Your guide will spend around 2 hours explaining the highlights of Machu Picchu. Afterward, you can hike Huayna Picchu if you have booked this option. (This is a separate entrance ticket that costs $65 per person). Finally, you will return to Aguas Calientes and take a train back to Ollantaytambo, and then a bus back to Cusco. Once in Cusco, we will transfer you back to your hotel around 7:30 pm.
- Satellite Phone. Salkantay is a remote área where you will not find a signal so in case of emergency, our guide uses our satellite phone.
- Hotel of 3 stars in Aguas Calientes.
- Entrance fees to Salkantay Mountain.
- Machu Picchu ticket with circuit 2.
- Private van from your hotel in Cusco to Challacancha (the starting point of hiking).
- Private van from Ollantaytambo to Cusco.
- Train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo. (Expedition Train Service 14:55 or 15:20).
- Train ticket from Hidroelectrica to Aguas Calientes.
- Round trip bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu.
- English-speaking guide with radio communication.
- Pre depárture briefing which will be carried out in our Office 1 day prior to your departure.
- Professional cook.
- Wake up tea every day. It can be Coca tea, Coffee, chocolate, or any type of tea.
- Horses which carry all of our trekking gear.
- 7 kilograms of your personal belongings.
- Large duffel bag provided by the company, for your 7 kg personal belongings.
- Wáter every day. We boil water and cool down to refill your bottle.
- Happy hour. Every afternoon our cook will prepare hot tea, and you will drink it with popcorn and biscuits.
- A cloth bag for your snack.
- Snacks for every single day.
- Entrance fees to Humantay Lake.
- Large Dining tent, table, stools, all cutlery, and kitchen tent.
- Tents to overnight, and Thermarest. Three-person tents are provided for 2 people to provide you with plenty of space for personal gear.
- Meals: 4 Breakfasts, 4 lunches, and 3 dinners with options for vegetarians, Pescatarian, gluten-free, lactose intolerance.
- Foam Mattress.
- First aid kit. Every February our guides receive training about first aid kids. They carry in their backpack basic medications to face diarrhea, altitude sickness, any injuries, etc.
- A metal tank of Oxygen. Our guide will have a tank of oxygen at all times.
- Hygiene Product. We will provide you with a bowl a wáter and towel paper to clean your hands at every campsite.
- Plastic Poncho. When it rains a lot, your jacket will be very wet that's why we give the plastic Poncho to protect you from the heavy rain.
- Rain cover for your backpack.
- Lunch on the 4th day in Aguas Calientes.
- Personal trekking gear including, backpacks, trekking poles, and sleeping bags. However, they may be rented from us.
- Gratuity for guides, cooks, and horsemen.
- Trekking poles.
- Sleeping Bag.
- Emergency Horse.
WHAT TO BRING FOR SALKANTAY TREK 4 DAYS
- Original Passport and Original Green ISIC international student cards if you are students.
- Water-resistant trekking shoes and sandals.
- Warm clothing (thermal underwear, fleece, hat, gloves, socks).
- Waterproof clothing (poncho).
- Synthetic or cotton clothing (socks, trousers, shorts, t-shirts).
- Sunhat and sunglasses.
- Sun cream and insect repellent.
- Water bottles such as Nalgene.
- Basic medications.
- Walking sticks.
- Swimsuit and towel.
- Personal items.
- Personal snacks.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT SALKANTAY TREK 4 DAYS
THINGS TO KNOW
- During the peak season, from May through August, it is advisable to secure your reservation for the Salkantay trek 4 days at least two months in advance.
- Throughout the entire four-day journey, bottled water is available for purchase; however, it's important to note that prices tend to rise as you progress further along the trek.
- This 4-day trek to Salkantay is not recommended for travelers with back problems
- We dont organize Salkantay trek 4 days in Januay and in February due to the landslides. Since the second day in the afternoon, we will hike in the hillside and you see very oftern landslides blocking the path. Also the trail is very muddy, slippery and dangerous to hike.
- Make sure your trekking shoes are broken in before you Salkantay trek 4 days.
- Spend at least 2 days in Cusco before your Salkantay 4-day hike to get used to the altitude.
- You must remember to trim your toenails super short before your Salkantay Peru Tours! Toenails that are too long may rub against your hiking boots on the descent section and could be painful or even result in your nails popping off.
- Place your clothing within your sleeping bag while sleeping. This way, if the morning is cold, you can put on warm clothes. This practice significantly simplifies your morning routine by ensuring your clothes remain at a comfortable temperature.
- Consistently be prepared for rain, even during the dry season of the 4-day Salkantay hike to Machu Picchu. Unforeseen rain can transform your journey into an unpleasant experience if your cloths become thoroughly soaked without any opportunity for drying.
- Additionally, consider bringing sandals or comfortable leisure shoes to wear after a strenuous day of hiking in your trekking boots.
We will provide you with duffel bags at our office following the conclusion of your briefing. These bags will be transported by your horses and will be accessible only at designated campsites. Use them to store clothing and personal items unnecessary for hiking. Essential items such as water, snacks, a first aid kit, and rain gear should be packed in your day pack.
Ensure that the weight of the duffel does not exceed 7kg, with only 4kg allocated for your personal belongings. The remaining 3kg should be reserved for your sleeping pad and sleeping bag
Strikes and roadblocks are a common occurrence in Peru and have the potential to disrupt our scheduled Salkantay trek four days, as well as the rail service to and from Machu Picchu. We will do our best that your hike to Salkantay continues as planned with some changes.
- In the event of a strike happens on the initial day of your Salkantay four-day tour, we will arrange for your transportation to the trailhead on the evening preceding your scheduled start date.
- If the strike happens the day that you finish your Salkantay 4 day hike. We will send our vans to Hidrolectrica. So you will need to hike an extra 2 hours from Aguas Calientes to Hydroelectric. Then we will drive in a van to Cusco. We will drop you off at your hotel.
RETURNING FROM MACHU PICHU TO CUSCO.
Returning from Machu Picchu to Cusco needs a lot of logistics. But it is already organized by us.
Bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes. You will take a bus down to Aguas Calientes for about 30 minutes. Buses run every 15 minutes. Then Train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo or Poroy train station. Our guide will give you your train tickets. Make sure to get to the train station 30 minutes earlier.
- The estimated time on the train is 1 hour and a half from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo.
- The estimated time on the train is 3 hours and a half from Aguas Calientes to Poroy.
Once at the train station, our transfer will wait for you with the AB Expeditions logo. He/She will then transfer you back to Cusco and then to your hotel.
- The estimated time from Ollantaytambo to Cusco is 1 hour and a half.
- The estimated time from Poroy to Cusco is 40 minutes.
SALKANTAY WEATHER WEATHER
Salkantay trek located is the Andes, Therefore the weather is unpredictable, so you need pack for both warm and cold temperatures, and rainy and dry conditions. There are two main seasons in the Peruvian Andes, the rainy season (November-March) and the dry season (April-October).
During the rainy season, the weather is rainy and wind at the campsite and Salkantay Pass, the temperatures is around 15°C / 60°F during the day and 5°C / 40°F at night. When it is raining the temperature decrease and it is very cold.
During the dry season the weather is sunny and clear, and the temperature is 20° C / 70 °F during the day but much colder at night, around -7 °C / 19 °F.
Those temperatures are applied to the first and second day. After the second day, as we will hike through rainforest, the weather changes to a more humid and warmer climate and the temperature start increasing.
We advise obtaining travel insurance as it serves as a safeguard in case you need to cancel your 4-day Salkantay tour unexpectedly. This insurance can provide reimbursement for your pre-paid, non-refundable Machu Picchu permit. Additionally, in the event of illness or injury during your travels, particularly when you are far from home, the insurance can offer reimbursement for medical expenses incurred as a result of a covered emergency.
This hike is difficult, it’s highly recommended to be in good physical condition; The Salkantay trek elevation changes make the hike tough.
UPDATING PASSPORT NUMBERS
If you are in the process of renewing your passport, kindly proceed by sending us a digital copy of your current passport via email to initiate the reservation of your Salkantay 4-day permits. If you no longer have your old passport, any government-issued ID will be accepted, as long as the name is the same. Once you receive your new passport. Please email us a copy of your new passport ASAP to change the information on your permit.
ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS FOR SOLO TRAVELER
On the Salkantay trek, individual adventurers will be matched with a fellow solo traveler of the same gender to cohabitate in a shared tent, while couples will be accommodated in a dedicated tent for their exclusive use.
There is a pre-departure briefing at our Cusco Office at 06:00 p.m. one day before your departure. If you are not able to make this time, you should coordinate another time with the AB Expeditions team by email. Briefings last 30 -45 minutes roughly. At the briefing, you will meet your guide and He/she will give you detailed information about your Salkantay trek 4 days: for example, a list of what to bring, rental equipment, or questions in general. Our office is located at Marquez Street 250, Second Floor. Office 03. Cuzco, Peru.
Tipping is common on Salkantay tours 4 day. On the third day in the morning, we will say goodbye to our amazing horsemen. This is the time that you will give a tip to all of them, please. We will say bye bye to our cook on the third day in the afternoon after our lunch. Anything extra is always really appreciated. Please know that tipping is not Mandatory and that you should never feel forced into this.
Usually, our customers pool their tipping money together for the chef and horsemen. For your tour guide, you tip after your guided tour at Machu Picchu. You decide the amount of money based on your experience with them. Soles is better for Our Horsemen and Chefs. Guides can receive U.S. dollars or Soles without any problem.
- Tips could be for our horse: 30 – 70 soles per porter.
- Tips could be for our Cooks: 120 – 150 soles per cook.
- Tips for the tour guide would be more than the cook.
Group tours consist of a diverse range of travelers, each varying in physical condition and age. When booking group services, it is important to acknowledge that some individuals may move at a different pace than you. Therefore, it is understood that each traveler will proceed at their own speed.In case the group decide to modify the tour, the guide will consult the whole participant, then we can modify if possible.
TYPICAL MEALS ON THE TREK
We train our cooks every year during the low season to provide you with the best-tasting meals on the mountain, with specialty menus and the freshest local ingredients available on all of our Treks to Salkantay. Here is an idea of what you will be eating during your trek.
*Vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, and more Options are Available Upon Request (please let us know at the time of booking).
Hot porridge, quinoa or oats, fried eggs, omelet or pancakes with fresh bread, fried bananas, Thick oatmeal with large fresh chunks of sweet apples. and boiled water for hot teas, coca tea, coffee, chocolate, and milk.
Lunch & dinner:
First Course: Quinoa, corn, noodle, asparagus, mushroom or vegetable soup, stuffed avocado, or potatoes.
Second Course: Chicken breast, beef stew, quinoa, fried rice, fried chicken, spaghetti bolognese, typical dishes: aji de gallina (chili pepper chicken), escabeche de Pollo (marinated chicken), or ajiaco de ulluco (spicy ulluco stew).
Fried plantains, chocolate pudding, chocolate or vanilla cake, peach.
candies, cookies, juice, crackers, and a variety of Peruvian fruits such as Banana, Chirimoya, Granadilla, Apples, oranges, Mandarine,
FREQUENT ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT SALKANTAY TREK 4 DAYS
HOW TO BOOK THE SALKANTAY TRE 4 DAY TREK WITH AB EXPEDITONS?
In order to book your Salkantay 4 days with us, Click on the BOOK NOW button, then select the day of your departure, then fill out all your personal information of each participant and the last step is the payment which you can do with your Credit card or debit Card.
On the booking platform, you will also find the extras. The Huayna Picchu mountain, Machu Picchu Mountain and the Vistadome train. Those options have to be booked in advance please because also as the Machu Picchu tickets are sold out fast. However, the sleeping bag, and walking sticks can be rented here in Cusco 2 days before your trip.
Once your Machu Picchu tickets are in our hands, we will send you a confirmation that everything is 100% organized. All start dates, once confirmed, are guaranteed.
HOW MANY DAYS DO I NEED TO GET USED TO THE ALTITUDE BEFORE I START THE SALKANTAY TREK 4 DAYS?
Acclimating to the altitude is crucial for a rewarding experience during your Salkantay trek. We strongly advise arriving in Cusco at least 2 or 3 days prior to your scheduled departure. This early arrival serves as a proactive measure to mitigate the effects of altitude sickness. Even if you have previously visited other regions in Peru, we recommend allocating an additional day in Cusco before embarking on your journey. This extra day allows for a more gradual adjustment and recovery from any travel-related fatigue.
WHAT CIRCUIT IS INCLUDED IN YOUR SALKANTAY TREK 4 DAY?
We buy Machu Picchu ticket with circuit 2. This circuit is most complete and allow you to visit the upper part of Machu picchu to take the classic picchu of Machu picchu.
WHY YOUR PRICE IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN OTHER TRAVEL COMPANIES?
There are many season why our price is more. Here are some reasons:
- We transport all our equipment using horses, resulting in a higher number of horses involved. In contrast, companies with established campsites tend to leave their equipment at each site, consequently limiting employment opportunities for local individuals engaged in horse-related work
- Cheaper companie dont pay fair salary to their staff thats why the guides will try to force to take a horse on the second day. On the third day they will try to convince you to take the zipline. This is the only way how they get a comisión to compensate their salary. In contrast, our commitment to fair compensation ensures a different approach, prioritizing integrity in our services.
- Also, when we have only 2 people, we dont pass you to another company, we organize the tour only for 2 of you. Cheaper companies pass their groups when they only 2 customer.
- Another reason is, we take máximum 8 people in the group so you will have personalized service. Other companies take more than 20 people in the group so their service is cheap.
WHEN IS THE BEST TIME HIKE SALKANTAY TREK 4 DAYS?
The best time to hike Salkantay trek is from April to October. This timeframe aligns with the dry season in the Andes, ensuring clear skies and minimal chances of rainfall during your hike.
DO I NEED TO BOOK IN ADVANCE THE SALKANTAY TREK 4 DAYS?
Yes, you need to book in advance because the Machu Picchu ticket with good circuit run out quickly.
DO I NEED A PERMIT TO HIKE SALKANTAY TREK?
There is no specific permits to hike Salkantay, the only reason we ask you a deposit is to buy Machu picchu ticket and return train ticket.
HOW DIFFICULT IS THE SALKANTAY TREK 4 DAYS?
The salkantay trek 4 days is moderatly difficult. This hike rquires many hours of hiking and there are ascents and descents with steep inclines. Physical fitness is essential to fully enjoy and successfully navigate this trek.
IS YOU SALKANTAY TREK 4 DAYS INCLUDE HUMANTAY LAKE?
Yes, it is included. You will visit Humantay lake at midday.
CAN I STORE MY LUGGAGE AT YOUR OFFICE?
Yes! During your Salkantay 4-day trek to Machu Picchu, you can store your luggage at our office. Please bring what you will only need during your hike.
WHAT ABOUT THE OUTSTANDING BALANCE?
The Outstanding balance should be paid 2 days before your trip in our office in cash in USD or soles. Our office hour is in the morning from 9 to 1 pm and in the afternoon from 3 to 7 pm. Also, you can pay us with a Credit card (a 5% service fee applies). Please let us know what you prefer. Cash payment MUST be paid 2 day prior to your trip.
HOW ABOUT THE STUDENT DISCOUNT?
According to Peruvian Law, you have to be under 18 years old at the time of your hike to the Salkantay trek 4 days (if you are 18 or over, you need to have valid student cards).
- Students with valid student card from 18 to 24 years old have a discount of $20 USD.
- Hich School students from 11 to 17 years old have a discount of $30 USD.
- For children from 2 to 11 years old, a discount is $40 USD.
Students from 18 to 24 years old have to send us a copy of their passport and valid student card at the time of their booking to get the student discount. Below you will find a sample of a valid student card.
MAY I CHANGE THE DEPARTURE DATE AFTER THE TICKETS HAVE BEEN BOUGHT?
Yes it is possible. However we have to buy another Machu Picchu ticket for your new desire date and we have to pay a penalty to change train ticket. So The extra cost to change your departure date is $100 per person.
Note: If you want to change your departure date, you have to see first availabity for your new departure date. If there is not availability for your new departure date, then it is not possible.
DO I NEED TO BRING MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT ON THE SALKANTAY TREK 4 DAYS TO MACHU PICCHU?
Yes! You must bring your original passport and it is very important that it should be the same passport you sent us to reserve your Salkantay trek 4 days. Your passport will be checked 2 times. The first day in Mollepata Check point, seond in Machu Picchu citadel, and when you board the train.
HOW DOES IT WORK IF I BOOK HUAYNA PICCHU?
For our customers who hike the 4-day Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu, we will always book the 9 – 10 a.m. Schedule for Huayna Picchu Mountain. You will get to Machu Picchu at 6 a.m. on day 04. So you will have a guided tour of Machu Picchu citadel from 06:30 until 08:30 am. Then you will enter Huayna Picchu at 09:00 a.m. This hike takes around 2 hours and a half. Therefore You will finish this hike at 12:00 roughly. Then you will take the bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes which takes around 30 minutes. So you will be in Aguas Calientes at 12:30 pm. You will have time to eat your lunch until 02:50 p.m.
When you hike Huayna Picchu, we always book the 15:20 train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo. Therefore you will get back to Cusco around 19:30.
WHAT IS THE SCHEDULE OF MY RETURNED TRAIN TICKET?
We usually book return train tickets at 14:55 pm or 15:20 for our Salkantay guided tour on day 4, so you arrive in Cusco at 07:30 pm and you have enough time to sleep and do any tour the next day, like Rainbow Mountain.
CAN I STAY IN THE SACRED VALLEY FOR MY SALKANTAY TREK 4 DAYS?
You can stay in Sacred Valley, but it is not recommended. By staying in Sacred Valley, you will pay extra $30 in total for the tranportation. Also, the pick up will be 1 hour earlier than Cusco.
IF I CANCEL MY SALKANTAY 4 DAY TREK. ¿DO I GET ANY REFUND?
In case our country closes its borders, we refund you all the deposit. But if you don't make our country for whatever reason, you get sick or miss your flight or there is a strike or natural disaster. You will lose USD $150 automatically. Once the Machu Picchu is bought it becomes non-refundable or transferable, The entity in charge of issuing the Machu Picchu Ticket is the Ministry of Culture of Peru and Peru Rail which is charged with train tickets. They don’t provide any refund.
We understand that nothing is for granted and things may change in a minute, therefore we will do our best to be reasonable and charge you only for things that we have already spent.
WHAT TIME WILL WE ARRIVE TO MACHU PICCHU ON DAY 04?
Our groups get to Machu Picchu at 6 am.
WILL WATER BE PROVIDED?
You will need to buy 2 liters of water only for the first day. Since the second we will provide you with boiled water 3 times a day, after breakfast, at lunch, and at dinner.
IS THERE AN AGE LIMIT FOR THE SALKANTAY TREK 4 DAYS?
There is not any age limit for the salkantay 4-day hike. We at AB Expeditions recommend that the minimum age should be 8 because there are some sections that would be difficult for Little Legs.
IS THERE ANY LOCATION WHERE I CAN PLUG AND CHARGE MY ELECTRONIC DEVICES ON THE SALKANTAY?
The first night, we will sleep in a remote área so there is not any electricity to charge your devices. The second night, we will find the electricity of local people where you can charge your phone. The last night, you will sleep in Aguas Calientes in a hotel so you will have
WHAT IS THE TEMPERATURE RATING OF AB EXPEDITIONS SLEEPING BAGS?
We rent mummy-style sleeping bags that are usable at -15° C / 5° F. The brand is Mountain Hard Wear.
CAN I SEE THE SUNRISE IN MACHU PICCHU HIKING SALANTAY TREK?
Yes, it is possible to see the sunrise in Machu Picchu. Our groups arrive to Machu picchu for 6 am.
DO I NEED WALKING STICKS EVEN THOUGH I'M YOUNG AND I'M IN GOOD SHAPE AND USED TO HIKE A LOT?
It is highly recommended walking sticks for people who have knee problems because they protect your knees from the impact of walking, especially when hiking downhill. Also, we recommend them for people who don't have much experience hiking because they help with the stability of uneven trails. However, if you have experience hiking without them, then you don't need them.
WHEN THE MACHU PICCHU TICKET FOR MY DESIRED DATE IS SOLD OUT, IF SOMEONE CANCELS, CAN I TAKE THAT SPACE?
If someone cancels the Machu Picchu ticket, this ticket will not be backed up online for new purchases. So it is not possible to take that space. That's why the Machu Picchu ticket are not refundable.
IF I GET SICK ONE DAY BEFORE MY DEPARTURE AND CANCEL MY TRIP. CAN I USE MY 4-DAY PERMIT TO VISIT MACHU PICCHU AND CATCH UP WITH MY GROUP?
Yes, it is possible. You will still use things that it was already in your Salkantay 4-day packages, your Machu Picchu ticket, bus ticket from Mapi to Aguas Calientes, hotel in Aguas Calientes, train ticket from Aguas Calientes and transportation from Cusco to Ollanta. However if you want to go earlier, it is not possible because the tickets are bought for day 04.
In order catch up the group, you will need to buy an extra train ticket from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes. Also the tranportation from Cusco to Ollantaytambo.
Our Salkantay Trek 4 days video