Machu Picchu By Train - 1 Day
On our Machu Picchu By Train 1-Day, you will spend a day exploring the Inca Citadel of Machu Picchu during this all-inclusive day trip leaving from Cusco. Discover this renowned mountaintop Inca site with a local guide, learning about its construction, history, and what daily life was like for its residents. The trip’s relaxed, non-strenuous pace is a great option for first-time visitors, families, and solo travelers alike.
MACHU PICCHU TOUR HIGHLIGHTS
- Enjoy a 2-hour guided tour of the Inca ruins with your private guide.
- Take the train to Aguas Calientes town and enjoy the beautiful Peruvian rainforest scenery.
- Capture the best photos from prime vantage points and meet resident llamas.
- See the Temple of the Sun, condor temple. Sundial, the Sacred Plaza, and more.
- All transportation, all tickets, and private guide is included in the price of your tour
Why should you take Machu Picchu 1 day tour with us?
- This Machu Picchu 1-day tour is operated by AB Expeditions, a 100% local tour operator based in Cusco.
- Small groups are of 2 to 8 people maximum. This fact sets us apart from other travel companies that take bigger groups.
- We don't share the service of the Machu Picchu 1 day trip with other companies.
- We are a practical, punctual, reliable Travel company, welcoming individuals or groups. Check out our reviews on Trip Advisor.
- Our Tour Guides pride themselves on being up-to-date and have a comprehensive program of continuing professional development. We love showing what a fascinating and amazing Machu Picchu is.
- At AB Expeditions, our guides, and drivers receive their salaries as soon as they finish their job.
- Local Price.
- Fast booking.
MACHU PICCHU BY TRAIN ITINERARY
Day 1: Cusco - Ollantaytambo - Machu Piccchu - Aguas Calientes - Cusco
Note: Most of our Machu Picchu by train 1-day leave Cusco at 03:00 am in the morning. But if you want to leave on a later schedule, we can organize it too.
We will pick you up at 03:00 am then drive for 1 hour and a half to the village of Ollantaytambo which is located in the Sacred Valley where we’ll take our train to Aguas Calientes. With unparalleled landscape throughout the journey, the train journey itself is a lifetime experience. Following the Urubamba River downstream of the Sacred Valley. you’ll get to Aguas Calientes at 06:40 am, then take the bus up to Machu Picchu for about 30 minutes. Once you pass the Mapi checkpoint, your guide will take you to the Guardhouse where you will take a Postcard shot of Machu Picchu. Then you will have 2 hours Machu Picchu guided tour during which you’ll learn about the Inca civilization and visit all the highlights of Machu Picchu. You will visit, the Sun temple, the temple of 3 windows, the Incas house, Main Plaza, Wayrana, Sacred Rock, etc.
After visiting the citadel you’ll catch the bus down to Aguas Calientes where you will have lunch then you will board the train at 02:55 pm back to Ollantaytambo, then go on by private van to Cusco. We will drop you off at 07:00 pm at your hotel.
- Professional English Speaking Tour Guide.
- Guided tour at Machu Picchu.
- Hotel picks up and Drop off.
- Round trip train ticket from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes.
- Private van from Cusco to Ollantaytambo
- Private van from Ollantaytambo to Cusco.
- Machu Picchu Ticket.
- Round trip bus ticket from Machu Picchu-Aguas Calientes-Machupicchu.
ADDITIONAL THINGS TO UPGRADE
WHAT TO BRING TO MACHU PICCHU BY TRAIN
- Original passport (You will not be let into Machu Picchu if you do not have your passport).
- Valid, STUDENT CARD (if you booked as a student).
- Backpack/Day Pack(the smaller, the better)
- Nice shirt and pants for Machu Picchu – remember you will always treasure these photos, wear something you love.
- Sun hat and sunglasses
- Refillable Water Bottle.
- Rain jacket/ poncho.
- Some money for a passport stamp (s/1), the toilet (S/2), and for souvenirs you want to buy or for lunch at the restaurant (expensive).
- A camera.
- Comfortable walking shoes or trekking shoes.
- Insect repellent.
- Personal medications.
- Small first aid kit.
THINGS TO KNOW
- If you upgrade to vistadome From Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes, you wont go to Ollantaytambo together with the guide. He/She will take the train of 05:05 am and wait for you in Aguas Calientes. The earliest vistadome is at 7:05 am so you will take this train.
- As per the new rules, you can stay in the Machu Picchu area for only 2 hours, but it is almost impossible to enforce this rule unless visitors would have been all the time harassed by guards who would have to ask them over and over again.
- When visiting Machu Picchu, you must bring your passport with you as you will need it to enter the site.
- With the standard entry ticket to Machu Picchu, you will not be allowed back in after you exit, even if you do not spend the full 2 hours allotted with each ticket. A complete guided tour only tends to last between 2 to 3 hours.
- With the Machu Picchu + Machu Picchu Mountain ticket, You should hike first to the Mountain and then do the guided tour at Machu Picchu.
- Be careful with selfie-and-jumping pictures, as these cause most of the accidents in the mountains.
- Park rangers invite you to leave Huayna Picchu mountain at 12:30 pm, and from Machu Picchu mountain at 12 pm.
- Training shoes or lightweight walking shoes are highly recommended.
- Strong insect repellent is recommended.
- Machu Picchu is a unique site, and if you want, you can get a pretty unusual stamp on your Passport.
Bad news, there are no bathrooms or food stalls in Machu Picchu. Make sure you use the bathroom before you enter the site. It is right in front of the entrance and costs two soles.
If it is cloudy and rainy and you will leave the viewing platform where the most classic photos are taken and start the tour around Machu Picchu, with the hope to come back when the weather improves, we would like to inform you that this is impossible. Once you are on the trail you only have to move forward and follow the circuit – there are many guards with whistles watching, and you won’t stand a chance.
Food and Water
When it comes to food and water, bring your own. The ticket says that eating inside the site is prohibited, but you can bring a small snack with you, only try not to eat too openly, and it comes without saying that you should not litter. Also, you should bring your water in reusable flasks or canteens, because Machu Picchu tries to fight against single-use plastic bottles.
Prohibited objects inside Machu Picchu
- Walking sticks are not allowed unless the person needs them.
- It is not allowed to enter Machu Picchu with drones, hiking poles, tripods, or selfie sticks as well. Older people can carry a cane, but with a rubber tip, not a metal one.
- Professional cameras are not allowed. Permits for professional cameras are over $300 so avoid bringing a professional-looking camera in to save some money.
- You cannot enter Machu Picchu with your travel backpack. Only smaller models are allowed so leave your backpack in Aguas Calientes in your Hotel.
Strikes and roadblocks are frequent in Peru and can disrupt our Machu Picchu day tours and rail service to and from Machu Picchu. We will do our best that your Machu Picchu private tour by train continues as planned with some changes.
If the strike happens the day of your Machu Picchu 1-day tour, we will take you to Aguas Calientes town the night before your start date. You will visit Machu Picchu normally, After visiting the Inca Ruins, you will need to hike extra 3 hours from Aguas Calientes to Hydroelectric. Then we will drive 7 hours to Cusco. We will drop you off at your hotel around 11:00 pm.
FREQUENT ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT CIRCUIT WILL YOUR MACHU PICCHU DAY TRIP FOLLOW?
We buy the circuit 2 ticket for our Machu Picchu Day trip, so you willl visit with our guide the upper and lower part of Machu Picchu. This is circuit is recommended because you will visit the whole Inca City.
HOW TO BOOK MACHU PICCHU BY TRAIN WITH AB EXPEDITIONS?
In order to book your Machu Picchu by train 1-day tour with us, you need to click on the BOOK NOW bottom above, then choose the day of your departure, then fill out all the personal information, then the last step is the payment which you can do with credit card or debit card. Please send us only the deposit, the outstanding balance is payable in Cusco one day before at our office.
WHAT ABOUT THE OUTSTANDING BALANCE?
The Outstanding balance can be made in cash one day earlier your trip in USD or soles or if you prefer PayPal at least one week prior to your trip(a 7% service fee applies). Also, you can pay us with a Credit card only Visa(5% service fee applies). Please let us know what you prefer. Cash payment MUST be paid 1 day prior to your trip.
MAY I CHANGE THE DEPARTURE DATE AFTER THE PERMITS HAVE BEEN PURCHASED?
Yes, it is possible. But we have to buy new Machu picchu ticket and we have to pay a penalty to change the train ticket. It will cost extra $100 per person to change your departure date.
WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO VISIT MACHU PICCHU?
The best time to visit Machu Picchu is the shoulder months, April, May, September, October, and November. The chances of rain are few during these months, and the temperature is pleasant as it is away from the cold winter nights of the peak season. During these months, there will be fewer crowds too.
DO I NEED TO BRING MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT ON THE MACHU PICCHU 1 DAY TOUR?
Yes! You must bring your original passport and it is very important that it should be the same passport you sent us to reserve your Machu Picchu ticket. Your passport will be checked at the Machu Picchu checkpoint when you board the train.
CAN I BOOK THE MACHU PICCHU BY TRAIN WITH MY EXPIRED PASSPORT?
If you are renewing your passport, go ahead and email us a copy of your old passport to book your Machu Picchu ticket. If you no longer have your old passport, any government issue ID will be accepted, as long as the name is the same. Once you receive your new passport. Please email us a copy of your new passport ASAP to change the information on your ticket.
WHAT IS THE SCHEDULE OF MY TRAIN TICKETS?
We usually book the 05:05 am schedule from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes and the return train ticket is at 02:55 pm so you arrive in Cusco at 06:30 pm and you have enough time to sleep and do any tour the next day, like Rainbow Mountain.
CAN I STAY IN THE SACRED VALLEY FOR MY MACHU PICCHU 1 DAY TOUR?
Yes, you can stay in Urubamba or Ollantaytambo. by staying in the Sacred Valley, your pickup will be 1 hour and a half after the Cusco pick up so you will sleep more.
HOW ABOUT THE STUDENT DISCOUNT?
According to Peruvian Law, you have to be under 18 years old at the time of your visit to Machu Picchu (if you are 18 or over, you need valid student cards). Below is a sample of a valid student card
- All students from 11 to 17 years old have a discount of $20 USD.
- For children from 2 to 11 years old, a discount is $30 USD.
All students have to send a copy of their passport and student card at the time of their booking to get the student discount. Send us a copy at email@example.com
IS THIS 1 DAY TOUR MACHU PICCHU SAFE FOR CHILDREN?
We recommend this tour for children and families because it is easy and safe. Machu Picchu has easy access and all facilities for visitors. Children have discounts of $30, so feel free to send us an email to get your quotation.
HOW LONG IN ADVANCE SHOULD I BOOK MACHU PICCHU 1 DAY TOURS FROM CUSCO?
To secure your Machu Picchu ticket, we recommend booking 3 months in advance. Last-minute bookings are also possible in the low season from November to April.
I'M STAYING AT AIRBNB, CAN YOU STILL PICK US UP?
Yes, we will need your exact address to arrange your pick-up and drop-off. It has no extra cost.
CAN I DO THIS MACHU PICCHU TRAIN TOUR ALONE?
Of course, as a solo traveler, you will enjoy Machu Picchu in a private service for an additional cost of $60, so you will pay $350 in total.
IS IT POSSIBLE TO CLIMB HUAYNA PICCHU ON MACHU PICCHU ONE DAY TOUR?
Yes, It is possible, we need to book the Schedule for 10 am. You will start the tour of Machu Picchu at 08 am until 09:30 am then you go straight to Huayna Picchu.
IS IT POSIBLE TO CLIMB MACHU PICCHU MOUNTAIN ON YOUR MACHU PICCHU DAY TRIP?
Yes, it is possible but not recommended, because you have to climb Machu Picchu Mountain first then do the guided tour at Machu Picchu Ruins. The reason why you climb the mountain first is because there is no afternoon Schedule. The last Schedule is 9 am. To climb the Mountain takes 3 hours and you end up very tired so you don't enjoy the Machu Picchu tour.
The most affordable price
Let's start your journey!