Inca Trail one day hike
Our Inca Trail One Day is a wonderful option for those who don’t have time or desire to hike the full length of the classical 4 day Inca Trail. With beautiful landscape, a great variety of flora and fauna on display and a visit to the Inca Trail’s most beautiful archeological site Wiñay Wayna (For Ever Young), you enjoy all the best bits of the Inca Trail condensed into a one day walk. Covering a distance of just 10km / 6.3 miles.
This short inca trai 1 day allows you to visit the most magnificent ruins such as: Chachabamba and Winawayna, and then enter on foot through the Sun Gate as the Incas did. Once you finish trekking, you will spend in the afternnon at Machu Picchu (Seven Wonders of the Modern World) with a private guide. Then take a bus to Aguas Calientes where you will have a dinner. After your meal, you will take your train back to Ollantaytambo, then our van back to Cusco.
We follow the "Health Guidelines for COVID-19 for Inca Trail 1 day" issued by the Peruvian government.
Why should you hike inca trail 1 day hike with AB Expeditons?
- We are practical, punctual, reliable Travel company, welcoming individuals or groups. Check out our reviews on trip advisor.
- You will ride the same train with your guide until the Inca trail trailhead.
- We dont share the service with other companies.
- Small groups of 2 to 8 people máximum. This fact sets us apart from other travel companies that take bigger groups.
- AB Expeditions is A 100% locally owned Travel Company and fully licensed Inca Trail operator.
- Our Tour Guides pride themselves on being up to date and have a comprehensive programme of continual professional development. We love showing what a fascinating and amazing Inca trail is.
AVAILABILITY FOR 1 DAY INCA TRAIL PERMITS
JANUARY 2022: SOLD OUT
FEBRUARY 2022: CLOSED FOR MAINTENANCE
MARCH 2022: SOLD OUT.
APRIL 2022: SOLD OUT.
MAY 2022: AVAILABLE
JUNE 2022: AVAILABLE
JULY 2022: AVAILABLE
AUGUST 2022: AVAILABLE
SEPTEMBER 2022: AVAILABLE
OCTOBER 2022: AVAILABLE
NOVEMBER 2022: AVAILABLE
DECEMBER 2022: AVAILABLE
SHORT INCA TRAIL 1 DAY ITINERARY
Day 1: Cusco - Kilometer 104 - Aguas Calientes . Cusco.
We will leave Cusco at 04:00 am to start the one Inca Trail . We drive for about an hour and a half to Ollantaytambo where we will take our train until kilometer 104 where is the starting point of our trek. Our trek today takes us along the most wonderful stretch of the Classic Inca Trail 4 Days. We’ll visit beautiful Inca sites, see a variety of flora and fauna and get to take in the stunning panoramas of the Andes. Walking 10km of the trail our hike begins in the Sacred Valley and works it’s way up along a paved Inca trail to the archeological site of Winay Wayna before continuing on to Machu Picchu via the Sun Gate (Inti Punku). After visiting Wiñay Wayna, we will have our box lunch.
After enjoying our meal. we’ll hike through the lush and green cloud forest that covers the mountain and get to see a wide variety of plants, flowers, orchids, and birds along the way. We might see some larger mammals such as Viscachas (rabbit-like Chinchillas) and Spectacled Bears (if we are very lucky).
After a full days hiking, we’ll get to the Sun Gate (Inti Punku) in the afternoon and get our first views of Machu Picchu spread out on the mountain ridge below. The light in the afternoon is great for photos and with fewer tourists on the site, it’s a perfect time to take wonderful pictures of the site. After passing through the Sun Gate we’ll keep hiking for about 45 minutes to get Machu Picchu
Once you get Machu Picchu, you will go first to the platform where you will take a classical picture of Machu Picchu. The good thing is there are few people at the picture spot which help to enjoy Machu Picchu much better. Your tour guide will explain all the hightlights of Machu Picchu, which takes about two hours. You will see all of the most important parts of Machu Picchu. Finally, you will return to Aguas Calientes where you will have your dinner, after you take a train back to Ollantaytambo, and then our van back to Cusco. We will tranfer you to your hotel.
What s Included?
- Pick up and drop off in your hotel.
- Pre-departure Inca Trail briefing, presented by the tour guides at 6:00 pm at the office a day before.
- English speaking tour guide.
- Tourist train ticket for your guide who will ride the train until Km104(Starting point of the hike)
- Two hours of guided tour in Machu Picchu.
- Inca Trail permits and Machupicchu Ticket.
- train ticket from Ollantaytambo to kilometer 104(starting point of the hike).
- Return Expeditions train ticket(18:20) to Ollantaytambo.
- Private Transportation from the train station to Cusco.
- Emergency oxygen bottle and first aid kit.
- Bus Ticket from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes.
- Meal service (1 breakfasts, 1 Boxlunch, 1 dinner, 1 snack). With option for vegetarians, gluten free, lactose Intolerance and any food allergy.
- Day pack cover to keep you dry your belongings.
- Rain Poncho to cover from the rain.
What s not Included
- Tips (optional)
WHAT TO BRING FOR THE 1 DAY INCA TRAIL EXPRESS
- Original Passport and student cards if you are students.
- A Hiking/trekking Backpack (21 liters capacity).
- Hiking Poles with rubber tips. You can bring your own or rent it from AB Expeditions.
- Trekking Clothing: Hiking shoes, waterproof pants, waterproof shorts, two shirts, a light sweater, jacket for rain, and clothes to rest in at the hotel. On the other hand, it is quite comfortable and relaxing for the body to wear light clothes for the walk; for this, waterproof materials are very good, because they enable quick drying from sweat and rain.
- Night in Aguas Calientes: Please bring with you a clean set of clothes to wear after the trekking.
- It is also suggested to bring Anti Blister Gel to avoid getting blisters on your feet and being unable to continue on your trek.
- Digital Camera with an external memory (2-4 Gb) (Optional).
- Sunglasses with UV protection.
- Sun Block SPF 60 (UVA-UVB) waterproof and sport.
- Waterproof Insect Repellent lotion, not spray.
- Water bottle made of flexible plastic. This type of bottle is very easy to carry and does not take up a lot of space. At the same time, they help in our effort to protect the environment.
FREQUENT ASK QUESTION
HOW TO BOOK THE INCA TRAIL 1 DAY WITH AB EXPEDITONS?
In order to book your 1 Day Inca Trail hike with us, click on the BOOK NOW button, then select the day of your departure, then, fill out all your personal information of each participant and the last step is the payment of your deposit of $150 per person.
Once we get your deposit, we will send you a confirmation of your trip and the booking form to fill out. Here is all the detail that you need to send us.
- Personal information (your full name, exactly as on your passport):
- Passport number
- Date of Birthday (dd / mm / yyyy)
***We need copies of the Passport of each participant because they are required when buying Inca trail permits.
When your Inca trail permits are in our hands, we will send you a confirmation that everything is 100% organized. All start dates, once confirmed, are guaranteed.
CAN I STORE MY LUGGAGE AT YOUR OFFICE?
Yes! During the 1 day inca trail to Machu Picchu, you can store your luggage at our office or at your hotel, whichever is more convenient for you. Please bring what you will only need during your Short Inca Trail to Machu Picchu.
WHAT ABOUT THE OUTSTANDING BALANCE?
The outstanding balance can be made in cash one day earlier your trip in USD or soles or if you prefer PayPal at least one week prior to your trip(7% service fee applies). Also, you can pay us with a Credit card only Visa(5% service fee applies). Please let us know what you prefer. Cash payment MUST be paid 1 day prior to your trip.
HOW ABOUT THE STUDENT DISCOUNT?
According to Peruvian law, you have to be under 18 years old at the time of your hike to One day Inca trail hike (if you are 18 or over, you need valid student cards). Below is the sample of valid student card
- All students from 11 to 17 years old have a discount of $30 USD.
- For children from 2 to 11 years old have a discount is $40 USD.
All students have to send a copy of their passport and student card at the time of their booking to get the student discount. Send us a copy at email@example.com
MAY I CHANGE THE DEPARTURE DATE AFTER THE PERMITS HAVE BEEN PURCHASED?
Unfortunately, it is not possible. Peruvian government doesn t allow us to change once the one day inca trail permits have been bought. Inca Trail permits are not transferable nor refundable. . The only information that the government allows us to change is passport numbers.
HOW HARD IS ONE DAY INCA TRAIL?
This hike is classified as difficult, it’s recomended to be in a good physical condition.
DO I NEED TO BRING MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT ON 1 DAY INCA TRAIL HIKE TO MACHU PICCHU?
Yes! You must bring your original passport and it is very important that it should be same passport you sent us to reserve your One Day Inca Trail permit. Your passport will be checked at the Short Inca trail checkpoint, Machu Picchu, and when you board the train.
UPDATING PASSPORT NUMBERS
If you are renewing your passport, go ahead and email us a copy of your old passport to book your Short Inca trail 1 day permits. If you no longer have your old passport, any government issue ID will be accepted, as long as the name is the same. Once you receive your new passport. Please email us a copy of your new passport ASAP to change the information of your permit.
WHAT IS THE SCHEDULE OF MY TRAIN TICKET?
It will depend on the train availability. We usually book the 06:10 am schedule from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes on day 1 and the return train ticket is at 02:55 pm so you arrive to Cusco at 06:30 pm and you have enough time sleep and do any tour next day, like Rainbow Mountain.
CAN I STAY IN THE SACRED VALLEY FOR MY INCA TRAIL 1 DAY?
Yes, you can stay in Urubamba or Ollantaytambo. by staying in the Sacred Valley, your pickup will be 1 hour and half after the cusco pick up so you will sleep more.
ADDITIONAL INFO FOR INCA TRAIL 2 DAYS
A máximum of 250 people per day are allowed to access the Inca Trail 1 Day at km 104; This number includes all support staff such as: authorized porters, cooks and tour guides and is most tightly controlled; when the inca trail reaches its limit of 250 travellers, the Trail is closed off for the day and no further reservations could be made; Booking are not held on the Trail and all permits to trek must be bought a year in advance, if possible.
THINGS TO KNOW
- This Machu Picchu 1 day hike is no recommended for travelers with back problems
- You will have a tour guide during your short inca trail and on the Machu Picchu tour.
- Daily departures with a group of 2 or more.
- No departures in February due to the trail maintenance.
- There is not access for wheelchair.
- DON'T FORGET THE ESSENTIALS: Original passport, insurance card, personal medications.
- This short inca trail will have a maximum of 8 travelers
Strikes and roadblocks are frequent in Peru and can disrupt our short Inca trail to Machu Picchu hike and rail service to and from Machu Picchu. We will do our best that your hike to Machu Picchu continues as planned with some changes.
If the strike happens the first day of your short inca Trail tour, we will take you to Aguas Calientes the night before your start date. You will spend the night in a hotel which will be in your expenses and the next day, you will hike an extra 1 hour and half to Km 104 where your 1 day Inca Trail tour starts.
After you finish visiting Machu Picchu, you will take a bus down to Aguas Calientes. You will spend another night there which will be in your expenses and and the next day, you will hike to Hidreoelectrica for about 3 hours and take our van back to Cusco for about 7 hours.
We recommend you to get a travel insurance because if you cancel your one day machu Picchu hike in a last-minute it can reimburse you for your prepaid, non-refundable short Inca Trail permit. Also when you get sick or hurt while you are far away from home, it can reimburse you for care following a covered medical emergency while traveling.
SHORT INCA TRAIL WEATHER
The weather is unpredictable in the andes. Dry season in 1 day Inca Trail hike is from April to October and rainy season from November through March, but this does not stop rain from falling in dry season or the sun from coming out in rainy season so just be prepared. No matter what season you are hiking the short Inca Trail trek, make sure that you get rain gear such as: a rain jacket, rain pants, poncho, and waterproof gloves. You might experience 4 season in only one day too. So you must be prepared. Layers are the key since they are easy to adapt to different temperature changes. Be prepared with down jacket since the early morning and evening will be cold.
RETURNING FROM MACHU PICHU TO CUSCO.
Returning from Machu Picchu to Cusco need a lot of logistics. But it is already organize by us.
Bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes, you will take a bus down to Aguas Calientes for about 30 minutes. Buses run every 15 minutes. Then Train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo or Poroy train station. Our guide will give you your train tickets. Make sure to get the train station 30 minutes earlier.
- The estimated time on train is 1 hour and half from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo.
- The estimated time on train is 3 hours and half from Aguas Calientes to Poroy.
Once at the train station, our tranfer will wait for you with AB Expeditions logo. He/She will then tranfer you back to Cusco then to your hotel.
- The estimated time from Ollantaytambo to Cusco is 1 hour and half.
- The estimated time from Poroy to Cusco is 40 minutes.
There is a mandatory pre-departure briefing at our Cusco Office one day before your departure to Inca trail 1 day at 6pm. You will meet your tour guide and He will give you detailed information about your hike, a list of what to bring, rental equipment or questions in general. Our office is located at: Marquez Street 250, Second Floor. Office 03. Cuzco, Peru.
what makes us different
We are determined to give our customers the best adventure ever in Peru. Our only question is, will it be yours?
meet our amazing team
We are proud of our employees – some of the world’s top talent – who take pride in what they do and are engaged with our ambitions as a company.
The most affordable price
Let's start your journey!