Inca Trail 2 days
Our Short Inca Trail 2 days is a wonderful option for those who don’t have time or desire to hike the full length of the classical 4-day Inca Trail. With beautiful landscape, a great variety of flora and fauna on display, and a visit to the Inca Trail’s most beautiful archeological site Wiñay Wayna (For Ever Young), you enjoy all the best bits of the Inca Trail condensed into a one-day walk. Covering a distance of just 10km / 6.3 miles. In addition, you will visit Machu Picchu 2 times so you will have afternoon and morning pictures.
This short Inca trail 2 days with a hotel allows you to visit the most magnificent ruins such as Chachabamba and Winawayna, and then enter on foot through the Sun Gate as the Incas did. You are going to take a bus down to Aguas Calientes town and have an unforgettable dinner with your tour guide. This will be at a nice restaurant in the village before heading to your hotel, and the next day spent at Machu Picchu (Seven Wonders of the Modern World) with a private guide.
We follow the "Health Guidelines for COVID-19 for Inca Trail 2 days" issued by the Peruvian government.
Why should you hike Inca trail 2 day trek with AB Expeditions?
- We are a practical, punctual, reliable Travel company, welcoming individuals or groups. Check out our reviews on trip advisor.
- We include porters who will carry your lunch, so you will hike light.
- At AB Expeditions, our porters, guides, driver, and Cooks receive their salaries as soon as they finish their job.
- We don't share our group of Inca trail 2 days with other companies.
- Our guide will be in same train together with you from Ollantaytambo to km 104 so he/she will tell where to get off.
- After hiking 5 hours, we will provide you with Picnic in Wiñaywayna campsite where you will enjoy your meal under a picnic tent looking the amazing landscape and mountains.
- Small groups of 2 to 8 people maximum. This fact sets us apart from other travel companies that take bigger groups.
- AB Expeditions is A 100% locally owned Travel Company and fully licensed Inca Trail operator.
- Our Tour Guides pride themselves on being up-to-date and have a comprehensive program of continual professional development. We love showing what a fascinating and amazing Inca trail is.
- Your return train ticket is at 14:55 or 15:20 from Aguas Calientes. Therefore you arrive in Cusco early so you will sleep enough to do any tour the next day
SHORT INCA TRAIL 2 DAYS ITINERARY
Day 1: Cusco - Kilometer 104 - Aguas Calientes
We will leave Cusco at 04:00 am to start the Inca Trail 2 day hike. We drive for about an hour and a half to Ollantaytambo where we will have our Breakfast which is included, then take our train until kilometer 104 where is the starting point of our trek. Our trek today takes us along the most wonderful stretch of the Classic Inca Trail 4 Days. We’ll visit beautiful Inca sites, see a variety of flora and fauna and get to take in the stunning panoramas of the Andes. Walking 15km of the trail our hike begins in the Sacred Valley and works it’s way up along a paved Inca trail to the archeological site of Winay Wayna before continuing on to Machu Picchu via the Sun Gate (Inti Punku). After visiting Wiñay Wayna, we will have our picnic with an amazing view of the Mountain.
After enjoying our meal. we’ll hike through the lush and green cloud forest that covers the mountain and get to see a wide variety of plants, flowers, orchids, and birds along the way. We might see some larger mammals such as Viscachas (rabbit-like Chinchillas) and Spectacled Bears (if we are very lucky).
After a full days hiking, we’ll get to the Sun Gate (Inti Punku) in the afternoon and get our first views of Machu Picchu spread out on the mountain ridge below. The light in the afternoon is great for photos and with fewer tourists on the site, it’s a perfect time to take wonderful pictures of the site. After passing through the Sun Gate we’ll keep hiking for about 45 minutes until the Guard House where you will take the Classical postcard shot of Machu Picchu then go to the exit and you will catch the bus to Aguas Calientes. We will get to Aguas Calientes at 17:00 roughly then our guide will take you to the hotel to check in, then you will have your free time until dinner time so in your free time you can go to the hot spring to take a bath. Then dinner and go back to the hotel to spend the night.
- Highlights: hiking the original Inca Trail, Visiting Wiñaywayna ruins, you will see the sunset over Machu Picchu.
- Walking Distance: 15 km / 9.32 miles
- Meals: breakfast, lunch, and dinner Included
- Trailhead Elevation: 2,000 m / 6561 ft.
- Highest point: the top elevation is Sun Gate 2,720 m/8923 ft.
- Weather: Hot and humid.
Day 2: Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu - Ollantaytambo - Cusco.
Day second is the most magical day: Machu Picchu. Our guide will come to pick you up at the hotel then you will walk to the bus station to get the first bus that leaves at 05:30 am. The bus takes 30 minutes getting Machu Picchu. Once we are at the sanctuary, we will go to the checkpoint to show our Passports and Machu Picchu. After passing the checkpoint, our guide will take you to one of the best places take a picture of the citadel. then you will visit Machu Picchu for around 2 hours so our guide will explain to you the history, geology, architecture, flora, and fauna of the new seven wonders of the world(Machu Picchu). Afterward, you hike Huaynapicchu Mountain if you have booked this option. (This is a separate entrance ticket that costs $65 per person). Finally, you will return to Aguas Calientes where you will have your lunch, after your meal, our guide will take you to the train station to the train back to Ollantaytambo. In Ollantaytambo, our driver will wait for you and then take you back to Cusco. We will drop you off at your hotel at 19:30 roughly.
- Highlight: Visit Machu Picchu early in the morning, and enjoy the sunrise over the Citadel.
- Temperature: Warm and humid.
- Meals: Only Breakfast included.
- Aguas Calientes elevation: 2040 m / 6692 ft, we will sleep in this town.
- Machu Picchu Elevation: 2430 m/ 7972 ft.
What s Included?
- Pick up and drop off at your hotel.
- Pre-departure Inca Trail 2 day briefing, presented by the tour guides at 6:00 pm at the office a day before.
- English-speaking tour guide.
- Tourist train ticket for your guide who will ride the train until Km104(the Starting point of the hike)
- Two hours of guided tour in Machu Picchu.
- Inca Trail permits and Machupicchu Tickets.
- train ticket from Ollantaytambo to kilometer 104(starting point of the hike).
- Return Expeditions train ticket(14:55) to Ollantaytambo.
- Private Transportation from the train station to Cusco.
- Emergency oxygen bottle and first aid kit.
- Bus Ticket from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes on day 01.
- Round Trip bus tickets from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu and Viceversa.
- Hotel of 3 stars at Aguas Calientes ( Tara Machu Picchu or similar with 3 stars).
- Meal service (2 breakfasts, 1 BoxLunch, 1 dinner, 1 snack). With options for vegetarians, gluten-free, lactose Intolerance, and any food allergy.
- Day pack covers to keep dry your belongings.
- Rain Poncho.
What s not Included
- Entrance to the hot springs in Aguas Calientes town(US$5).
- Tips (optional)
ADDITIONAL THINGS TO UPGRADE
WHAT TO BRING FOR THE 2 DAY INCA TRAIL EXPRESS
- Original Passport and student cards if you are a student.
- A Hiking/trekking Backpack (21 liters capacity).
- Hiking Poles with rubber tips. You can bring your own or rent it from AB Expeditions.
- Trekking Clothing: Hiking shoes, waterproof pants, waterproof shorts, two shirts, a light sweater, a jacket for rain, and clothes to rest in at the hotel. On the other hand, it is quite comfortable and relaxing for the body to wear light clothes for the walk; for this, waterproof materials are very good, because they enable quick drying from sweat and rain.
- Night in Aguas Calientes: Please bring with you a clean set of clothes to wear after the trekking. Also, you can bring along swimwear and towels if you decide to visit the hot springs in Aguas Calientes.
- Personal Hygiene items: toothpaste. toothbrush, and wet wipes.
- Medicine: If you are taking any medications, please bring them with you. It is also recommended to bring some over-the-counter medicine for altitude sickness (Coramina, Aspirina, Diamox, Sorojchi, Acetazolamide). It is also suggested to bring Anti Blister Gel to avoid getting blisters on your feet and being unable to continue on your trek.
- Digital Camera with external memory (2-4 Gb) (Optional).
- Sunglasses with UV protection.
- Sun Block SPF 60 (UVA-UVB).
- Waterproof Insect Repellent lotion, not spray.
- Swiss Army Knife.
- Water bottle made of flexible plastic. This type of bottle is very easy to carry and does not take up a lot of space. At the same time, they help in our effort to protect the environment.
FREQUENT ASK QUESTION
HOW TO BOOK THE SHORT INCA TRAIL 2 DAYS WITH AB EXPEDITIONS?
In order to book your Inca Trail 2 days with us, click on the BOOK NOW button, then select the day of your departure, then, fill out all your personal information of each participant and the last step is the payment. You can pay us with your credit card or debit.
On the booking platform, you will also find the extras. The Huayna Picchu Mountain, the Vistadome train, and Machu Picchu Mountain. Those options have to be booked together with your 2 days Inca Trail, because also as the Inca Trail permits are sold out fast. However, walking sticks can be rented here in Cusco 1 day before your trip.
When your Inca trail permits are in our hands, we will send you a confirmation that everything is 100% organized. All start dates, once confirmed, are guaranteed.
CAN I STORE MY LUGGAGE AT YOUR OFFICE?
Yes! During the 2 days Inca trail hike, you can store your luggage at our office or at your hotel, whichever is more convenient for you. Please bring what you will only need during your Short Inca Trail to Machu Picchu.
WHAT ABOUT THE OUTSTANDING BALANCE?
The outstanding balance can be made in cash one day earlier your trip in USD or soles or if you prefer PayPal at least one week prior to your trip(a 7% service fee applies). Also, you can pay us with a Credit card (a 5% service fee applies). Please let us know what you prefer. Cash payment MUST be paid 1 day prior to your trip.
HOW ABOUT THE STUDENT DISCOUNT?
According to Peruvian law, you have to be under 18 years old at the time of your hike to the Inca trail 2 days (if you are 18 or over, you need valid student cards). Below is a sample of a valid student card
- All students from 11 to 17 years old have a discount of $25 USD.
All students have to send a copy of their passport and student card at the time of their booking to get the student discount. Send us a copy at email@example.com
MAY I CHANGE THE DEPARTURE DATE AFTER THE PERMITS HAVE BEEN PURCHASED?
Unfortunately, it is not possible. The Peruvian government doesn't allow us to change once the two-day Inca trail permits have been bought. Short Inca Trail permits are not transferable nor refundable. The only information that the government allows us to change is passport numbers.
HOW DOES IT WORK IF I BOOK HUAYNA PICCHU?
For our customers who hike the Inca trail 2-day trek, we will always book the 09 – 10 am Schedule for Huayna Picchu Mountain. You will get to Machu Picchu at 6 a.m. on the second day. So you will have a guided tour of Machu Picchu citadel from 06 until 08:30 am. Then you will enter Huayna Picchu at 09:00 a.m. This hike takes around 2 hours and a half roughly. Therefore You will finish this hike at 12:00 roughly. Then you will take the bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes which takes around 30 minutes. So you will be in Aguas Calientes at 12:30 pm. You will have time to eat your lunch until 02:50 p.m.
When you hike Huayna Picchu Mountain, we always book the 15:20 train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo. Therefore you will get back to Cusco around 19:30.
Note: The 09 am and 10 am Huayna Picchu tickets run out quickly, so it is better to book the Huayna Picchu together with your 2-day Inca trail hike permits in Advance.
HOW DOES IT WORK IF I BOOK MACHU PICCHU MOUNTAIN?
In case you book the Machu Picchu Mountain, we book the Schedule of 08 – 09 am. So you will have a guided tour of Machu Picchu citadel from 6 to 8 am then you need to exit Machu Picchu, use the toilet, and reenter Machu Picchu then you need to walk for 10 minutes until the Machu Picchu Mountain checkpoint. You will access the Mountain at 8:45 a.m. This hike takes 3 hours roughly so you will be back in Machu Pichu Citadel at 12 pm then you will take the bus to Aguas Calientes which takes 30 minutes. You will be in Aguas Calientes around 12:30, then you will have time to explore the town and have lunch until 14:25 pm.
IS THE MACHU PICCHU TICKET INCLUDED IN INCA TRAIL 2 TREK?
Yes, it is Included Machu Picchu ticket.
IS THERE ANY SPECIFIC SCHEDULE TO VISIT MACHU PICCHU WHEN I HIKE INCA TRAIL 2 DAYS?
There is no specific Schedule. With those tickets, you can visit any time of the day. We take our groups on the first Schedule at 06 a.m. because you beat the crowd and see the sun rise over the Inca site. However, if the group decides to go later then we can take you later.
HOW HARD IS THE SHORT INCA TRAIL?
This hike is classified as moderate-difficult, it’s recommended to be in good physical condition.
DO I NEED TO BRING MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT ON THE SHORT INCA TRAIL 2 DAYS 1 NIGHT TO MACHU PICCHU?
Yes! You must bring your original passport and it is very important that it should be the same passport you sent us to reserve your Short Inca Trail 2 days permit. Your passport will be checked at the Short Inca trail checkpoint, Machu Picchu, and when you board the train.
UPDATING PASSPORT NUMBERS
If you are renewing your passport, go ahead and email us a copy of your old passport to book your Machu Picchu 2 day hike permits. If you no longer have your old passport, any government-issued ID will be accepted, as long as the name is the same. Once you receive your new passport. Please email us a copy of your new passport ASAP to change the information on your permit.
WHAT IS THE SCHEDULE OF MY TRAIN TICKET?
We usually book the 06:10 am schedule from Ollantaytambo to Kilometer 104 on day 1 and the return train ticket is at 02:55 pm so you arrive in Cusco at 06:30 pm and you have enough time to sleep and do any tour the next day, like Rainbow Mountain.
CAN I STAY IN THE SACRED VALLEY FOR MY INCA TRAIL 2 DAYS?
Yes, you can stay in Urubamba or Ollantaytambo. by staying in the Sacred Valley, your pickup will be 1 hour and a half after the Cusco pick up so you will sleep more.
CAN I BOOK MY OWN HOTEL IN AGUAS CALIENTES?
You can book any hotel in Aguas Calientes. It will decrease the price of your hike $40 per person. If you decide to book your own hotel, don't forget to tell us where you plan to stay so our guide will take you there safely.
IS INCA TRAIL 2-DAY PET FRIENDLY?
Unfortunately, you can't visit Short Inca Trail and Machu Picchu with a dog. Only Guide Dogs are allowed. But you need permits to bring them.
WHAT KINDS OF REUSABLE WATER BOTTLES SHOULD WE BRING TO THE INCA TRAIL 2 DAY HIKE?
Starting on March 01st, 2022, single-use plastic water bottles and other plastic waste are prohibited in Inca Trail 2 days. You must bring your own personal reusable water bottles to fill out the wáter. You can buy a bladder hard shell bottle, or pouch whichever is convenient for you.
IS THERE AN AGE LIMIT FOR THE SHORT INCA TRAIL?
There is not any age limit for the Inca Trail 2-day hike. We at AB Expeditions recommend that the minimum age should be 7 because there is some steep section that would be difficult for Little legs.
HOW MANY KILOS IS IT ALLOWED TO CARRY ON THE SORT INCA TRAIL?
There is no weight limit for you, you can carry heavy or lightweight. However, the porters should carry no more than 20 kilograms.
WHAT TIME WILL WE GET TO MACHU PICCHU?
On day 01, our groups reach the Sun Gate at approximately 2:00 pm roughly, and from Sun Gate to Machu Picchu takes 45 minutes so you will get to Machu Picchu at approximately 3 pm. You will take a postcard shot then you will take a bus to Aguas Calientes.
HOW MANY DAYS IN ADVANCE SHOULD I ARRIVE TO HIKE THE SHORT INCA TRAIL?
It is recommended to arrive in Cusco at least 2 days prior to your departure, especially if you are coming from sea level. However, if you live in places over 2000 m( 6,561 ft), you can arrive 1 day before your departure.
WHAT IS THE AVERAGE ALTITUDE OF THE INCA TRAIL 2 DAYS?
- Cusco, where we pick you up. It is located 3,500 m (11,251 ft)
- KM 104(Chachabamba), where we start hiking at 2,170 m (7,120 ft).
- The highest point of 2 day Inca Trail tour is at 2,708 m (8,884 ft).
- Machu Picchu, where the 2 day Inca trail Trek ends, is 2,431m (7,973 ft).
- Aguas Calientes village, where we board the train back to Cusco, is 2,042 m (6,693 ft).
WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO HIKE THE 2 DAY INCA TRAIL EXPRESS?
The Best time to hike the Short Inca Trail is April to October which is the dry season in the Peruvian Andes. The driest months in Short Inca Trail are May, June, July, and August. But, Inca Trail and Machu Picchu will be very busy with tons of visitors.
The wet season begins in November and finishes in March. It is possible to hike the Machu Picchu 2 day trek in the rainy season but you need to bring good rain gear.
WHEN IS THE SHORT INCA TRAIL CLOSED?
The short Inca Trail is closed all month of February due to landslides, heavy rain, and maintenance of the trail.
WHAT ABOUT FOOD ON THE 2-DAY HIKE TO PICCHU?
- The first breakfast is included in our tour, which we will provide you in Ollantaytambo town before you board the train.
- Lunch is included on the first day. We will provide you Picnic at Wiñaywayna campsite where you will eat.
- Dinner is also included, you will eat in the restaurant in Aguas Calientes town.
- The second-day breakfast is included too. The hotel will provide you with it. The only meal that is not Included is the last lunch. However, there are many restaurants in Aguas Calientes that you can choose from.
DO YOU INCLUDE PORTERS IN YOUR SHORT INCA TRAIL TOUR?
Porters are included in our Short Inca Trail 2 day with the hotel. However, they only carry your box lunch, not your belongings. If you want to hire a personal porter, the Price will be $45 per porter. Note: Porters are not allowed all the way to Machu Picchu. They will only go to Wiñayywayna campsite then they go straight to Aguas Calientes where they will leave your belongings.
CAN I HIKE THE SHORT INCA TREK WITHOUT A TOUR GUIDE?
You can't hike the 2 day Inca Trail to Machu Picchu without hiring a registered travel Agency. You must be accompanied by a tour guide to hike Machu Picchu two day hike.
WHAT CIRCUIT WILL I FOLLOW IN MACHU PICCHU AFTER HIKING THE INCA TRAIL 2 DAYS?
After having the first glimpse of Machu Picchu at the Sungate, you will hike for 45 minutes straight to Guardhouse where you will take a Classical shot of Machu Picchu on day 01 in the afternoon and the next day you will access Machu Picchu by the lower part and you have to follow the Circuit 03 to visit Machu Pichu. So this rule is applied to everyone who hikes the Inca Trail 2-day hike.
ADDITIONAL INFO FOR INCA TRAIL 2 DAYS
A maximum of 250 people per day are allowed to access the Inca Trail 2 days at km. 104; This number includes all support staff such as authorized porters, cooks, and tour guides and is most tightly controlled; when the short Inca trail trek to Machu Picchu reaches its limit of 250 travelers, the Trail is closed off for the day and no further reservations could be made; Booking are not held on the Trail and all permits to trek must be bought a year in advance, if possible.
THINGS TO KNOW
- This Machu Picchu 2-day hike is not recommended for travelers with back problems
- You will have a tour guide during your short Inca trail and on the Machu Picchu tour.
- Daily departures with a group of 2 or more.
- No departures in February due to trail maintenance.
- There is no access to a wheelchair.
- Don't FORGET THE ESSENTIALS: Original passport, insurance card, personal medications.
- Our two day Inca trail to Machu Picchu will have a maximum of 8 travelers
Strikes and roadblocks are frequent in Peru and can disrupt our short Inca trail to Machu Picchu hike and rail service to and from Machu Picchu. We will do our best that your hike to Machu Picchu continues as planned with some changes.
If the strike happens on the first day of your short Inca Trail tour, we will take you to Aguas Calientes the night before your start date. You will spend the night in a hotel which will be at your expense. And the next day, you will hike an extra 1 hour and a half to Km 104 where your 2-day Inca Trail tour starts.
If the strike happens the day that you finish your 2-day 1-night Inca Trail. We will send our vans to Hidrolectrica. So you will need to hike an extra 2 hours from Aguas Calientes to Hydroelectric. Then we will drive 7 hours to Cusco. We will drop you off at your hotel around 09:00 pm.
We recommend you get travel insurance because if you cancel your two-day Machu Picchu hike at the last minute it can reimburse you for your pre-paid, non-refundable short Inca Trail permit. Also when you get sick or hurt while you are far away from home, it can reimburse you for care following a covered medical emergency while traveling.
SHORT INCA TRAIL WEATHER
The weather is unpredictable in the Andes. The dry season in 2 days Inca Trail is from April to October and the rainy season is from November through March, but this does not stop rain from falling in the dry season or the sun from coming out in the rainy season so just be prepared. No matter what season you are hiking the short Inca Trail trek, make sure that you get rain gear such as a rain jacket, rain pants, poncho, and waterproof gloves. You might experience 4 seasons in only one day too. So you must be prepared. Layers are the key since they are easy to adapt to different temperature changes. Be prepared with a down jacket since the early morning and evening will be cold.
RETURNING FROM MACHU PICHU TO CUSCO.
Returning from Machu Picchu to Cusco needs a lot of logistics. But it is already organized by us.
Bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes, you will take a bus down to Aguas Calientes for about 30 minutes. Buses run every 15 minutes. Then Train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo or Poroy train station. Our guide will give you your train tickets. Make sure to get to the train station 30 minutes earlier.
- The estimated time on the train is 1 hour and a half from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo.
- The estimated time on the train is 3 hours and a half from Aguas Calientes to Poroy.
Once at the train station, our transfer will wait for you with AB Expeditions logo. He/She will then transfer you back to Cusco and then to your hotel.
- The estimated time from Ollantaytambo to Cusco is 1 hour and a half.
- The estimated time from Poroy to Cusco is 40 minutes.
During the short Inca trail 2 days, solo travelers will be paired to share a hotel room with another traveler of the same sex and couples will have a room to themselves.
There is a mandatory pre-departure briefing at our Cusco Office one day before your departure to the Inca trail 2 days at 6 pm. You will meet your tour guide and He will give you detailed information about your hike, a list of what to bring, rental equipment, or questions in general. Our office is located at Marquez Street 250, Second Floor. Office 03. Cuzco, Peru.
PRICE OF OUR INCA TRAIL 2 DAY HIKE
Regular price: $475 per person in group service.
Our local company AB Expeditions offers DAILY DEPARTURES to the Inca Trail 2 days. We only require a minimum of 2 people to start a group.
Discounts for the Inca Trail trek:
- If you are a group of 4 or more, we give you a discount of US$25.00. All you need is to book the trek together at the same time.
- For those under 18 years of age, we give a discount of US$35.00. Send us a copy of the passport when making the reservation
- For students (Maximum Age 25 years) we give you a discount of US$25.00. Student discounts apply to anyone who has a valid UNIVERSITY STUDENT CARD at the time of the hike. Please send everything to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Inca Trail 2 days footage
what makes us different
We are determined to give our customers the best adventure ever in Peru. Our only question is, will it be yours?
meet our amazing team
We are proud of our employees – some of the world’s top talent – who take pride in what they do and are engaged with our ambitions as a company.
The most affordable price
Let's start your journey!