palccoyo rainbow mountain day trip
Explore in solitude and enjoy three rainbow mountains instead of just one with the classic tour to Vinicunca. Book your Palccoyo Rainbow Mountain – 1 Day with us.
- WHAT TO PACK
- USEFUL INFO
PALCCOYO RAINBOW MOUNTAIN ITINERARY
Cusco – Palccoyo – Cusco
We begin our day with pick-up from the hotel at 5:00 am and begin our drive towards the Palccoyo Rainbow Mountain trailhead, with an altitude of 4900 m asl (16125 ). Located south of Cusco, we drive for approximately 4hrs in private transport. After 1 hour, we will enjoy our breakfast then we keep driving.
Along the way, we see beautiful Andes mountains as well as lush green valleys, and hundreds of alpacas and llamas. If we are lucky we will stop for vicuñas and observe them in their natural free state. When we get to Apacheta, we will begin our hike towards to Rainbow Mountain. After a 30 minute hike, we will reach the overlook and see the beautiful rainbow mountains. Here we will be able to observe the 360 panoramic views as well as have the opportunity to get closer to the mountains for about an hour making our way back to the transport. Our lunch will be ready at our local house. We return to Cusco by 05:00 pm.
- English speaking guide, plus an assistant guide for a big group.
- First aid kit, including oxygen.
- Breakfast and Box lunch.
- Snacks for the trek.
- Private transportation to and from your hotel in Cusco.
- Entrance fees to Palcoyo Mountain.
- Pick up and drop off from the hotel.
- Pre-Trek briefing the night before the trek to go over the itinerary, meet your guide(s) and answer any questions.
Gratitudes for the staff.
WHAT TO BRING FOR PALCCOYO RAINBOW MOUNTAIN
- 1 Liter and half of the water (per person- at least!).
- Water-resistant trekking shoes.
- Warm clothing (thermal underwear, fleece, hat, gloves, and socks).
- Waterproof clothing (poncho).
- Synthetic or cotton clothing (socks, trousers, shorts, t-shirts).
- Sunhat and sunglasses.
- Sun cream.
- Water bottles such as Nalgene.
- Basic medications.
- Walking sticks.
- Personal items.
- Don’t go to the Palccoyo Rainbow Mountain in the afternoon in the rainy season because of lighting. Since the high concentration of mineral. There is a high chance to get stricken by lighting.
- You will enjoy the beauty of the área without flocks of other tourist so that sounds rather appealing to you as well. Of course you will see Quechua-speaking herders tending to their llamas and alpacas grazing on the land. don’t hesitate, just go for this alternative tour- before it is too late.
- The walk grants some spectaculars views of the range. Every 100 meters another gorgeous red or Green valley or unique rock formation is to be seen. This another advantage over Classic Rainbow Mountain; you won’t see one beautiful multi-color Mountain. But Many.
- This tour will also incorporate a cultural stop in Checacupe where our guest can walk across a traditionally created Inca Bridge.
- On the alternative Rainbow Mountain hike, the van stops at 4900m (16.076 ft). From the parking you can already see the colorful mountains and you only have to hike up for another 150m (492 feet)or so, along a nice and easy path.
- If you want a better view, at a slow pace you can reach the viewpoint of the Palcoyo mountain range in 45 minutes.
- If you see the Mountain covered with snow in rainy season, just wait! and the snow will melt. However, If you see Mountain covered with snow in dry season. The snow will melt slow beacuse it is frozen.
- The local community have already organized basic infrastructure to welcome visitors. They have proper toilet!.
- The journey begins at a more “prudent” time, around 5 a.m. It is also a 3.5 hour drive and 3.5 hour return trip.
- It is recommended for all ages and all genres, It is also a great option for those travelling with their kids.
- We don t recommend to go early to Alternative Rainbow Mountain(Palcoyo). when it is cloudy its colors will be dimmer or darker and if the day is sunny it will be vibrant colors.
- It is better to visit Machu Picchu and Cusco first, giving you time to adjust to the mountain air.
- If you’re short on time and want to tick-off impressive landscapes in a hurry without committing to much hiking, then Palcoyo is a very interesting option as a day trip.