Machu Picchu 2 day tour
Enjoy a relaxed overnight visit to the famous Inca city of Machu Picchu 2 day tour. This option will allow you early access to this iconic archaeological site. The Journey by train through the beautiful river valley to the town of Aguas Calientes, where you’ll have time to relax and explore the town before settling in for the evening. Then wake up early for a sunrise visit at Machu Picchu, including a 2-hour guided tour.
- Enjoy amazing views of Machu Picchu at sunrise
- Comfortable way on how to get to Machu Picchu.
- Enjoy the hot spring in afternoon at Aguas Calientes
- You have chance to view the Sacred Valley of the Incas on day 01.
- Walk in the afternoon on day 1, looking subtropical nature around Aguas Calientes with its typical fauna and flora.
- Spend a night in the cozy climate just below the Inca city of Machu Picchu.
Why should you take machu picchu 2 day tour with us?
- This machu Picchu 2 days trip is operated by AB Expeditons, a 100% local tour operator based in Cusco.
- Small groups of 2 to 8 people máximum. This fact sets us apart from other travel companies that take bigger groups.
- We dont share service of Machu Picchu 2 days trip with other companies.
- We are practical, punctual, reliable Travel company, welcoming individuals or groups. Check out our reviews on trip advisor.
- Our Tour Guides pride themselves on being up to date and have a comprehensive programme of continual professional development. We love showing what a fascinating and amazing Machu Picchu is.
- Your return train ticket is at 02:55 pm from Aguas Calientes. Therefore you arrive to Cusco early so you will sleep enough to do any tour the next day.
- We deliver on our promises.
- Instant confirmation.
MACHU PICCHU 2 DAY TOUR ITINERARY
Day 1: Cusco – Ollantaytambo - Aguas Calientes
We leave Cusco at 09:00 am in the morning for our Machu Picchu 2 day tour. we’ll drive to the village of Ollantaytambo which is located in the Sacred Valley where we will take our train to Aguas Calientes. With unparalleled landscape throughout the journey, the train journey itself is a lifetime experience. Following the Urubamba River downstream the Sacred Valley you’ll get to Aguas Calientes by about 02:30 pm the we go to check in your hotel and after checking in to our hotel you’ll have all the afternoon free. Whether you want to take advantage of your free afternoon you could visit the Machu Picchu museum, orchid exhibition, and butterfly exhibitions which is a 40 minutes’ walk outside of the village or you can just relax in the hot springs which is 5 minutes’ walk of the town.
We have an option to take the train from Poroy train station too, instead of going on a van for about 1 hour and half to the Sacred Valley, we just drive 30 minutes from Cusco to Poroy, there you will board the train. You will have an incredible 4 hours journey all the way to Aguas Calientes and be greeted by your guide who willl walk to the hotel with you. And next day, you will return on train all the way to Poroy too.
Note: If you take this option, you should let us know at the time of booking to buy your train ticket correctly.
Day 2: Machu Picchu!
Day two is the most magical day: Machu Picchu. We will wake up early to take the first bus for 30 minutes up to Machu Picchu. Once you pass the Mapi checkpoint, your guide will take you to the Guard house where you will see the sunrise over the ruins and take a Postcard shot of Machu Picchu. Then you will have 2 hours of Machu Picchu guided tour during which you’ll learn about the Inca civilization and visit all the highlights of the Machu Picchu. You will visit, Sun temple, temple of 3 windows, Incas house, Main Plaza, Wayrana, Sacred Rock, etc.
After visiting the citadel you’ll catch the bus down to Aguas Calientes where you will have lunch then you will board the train at 02:55 pm back to Ollantaytambo, then go on by private van to Cusco. We will drop you off at 07:00 pm in your hotel.
- Hotel Pick up and drop off.
- Private van from Cusco to Ollantaytambo.
- Round trip train tickets from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes.
- Orientations for the trip one day before your departure.
- Round trip bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu.
- Private van from Ollantaytambo to Cusco.
- 1-night accommodations at Tara Machu Picchu 3 star hotels (or similar standard).
- 1 breakfast at the hotel.
- English speaking tour guide for 2 days.
- Entrance fee to Machu Picchu.
ADDITIONAL THINGS TO UPGRADE
- Huayna Picchu Moutain: $65USD
- Machu Picchu Mountain: $65 USD
- One way Vistadome Ticket: $35 USD
- Round trip Vistadome ticket: $70 USD
WHAT TO BRING FOR MACHU PICCHU 2 DAY TOUR
- Original passport.
- Tennis shoes or trainers.
- Long, comfortable pants and a wind jacket.
- Sweater and light shirt.
- Rain jacket or poncho – in any season it can rain.
- Camera with a full battery and lots of memory!
- Insect repellent (for sand flies).
- Sunblock and sunglasses.
- Personal first aid kit (personal medications).
- Water bottle with 1-2 liters of water.
- Light backpack.
- Snacks (everything is more expensive in Aguas Calientes!).
- Padlock for a locker in the hostel.
- Flashlight if you plan to walk up to MP early in the morning.
- As per the new rules, you can stay in the Machu Picchu area only 4 hours, but it is almost impossible to enforce this rule unless visitors would have been all the time harassed by guards who would have to ask them over and over again what time did they enter (this rule should be more strict).
- When visiting Machu Picchu, you must bring the passport with you as you will need it to enter the site.
- With the standard entry ticket to Machu Picchu, you will not be allowed back in after you exit, even if you do not spend the full 4 hours allotted with each ticket. However, following the pathway through the ruins generally does not last 4 hours. A complete guided tour only tends to last between 2 to 3 hours.
- With the Machu Picchu + Machu Picchu Mountain and Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu mountain ticket, you can exit after your hike to buy water and use the bathroom, and then afterward reenter with your guide for the citadel tour.
- Be careful with selfie-and jumping pictures, as these cause most of the accidents in the mountains.
- Park rangers invite you to retire from Huayna Picchu mountain at 12:30 pm, and from Machu Picchu mountain at 12 pm.
- Training shoes or lightweight walking shoes highly recommended.
- Strong insect repellent recommended.
- Machu Picchu is a unique site, and if you want, you can get a pretty unusual stamp into your Passport.
Bad news, there are no bathrooms or food stalls in Machu Picchu. Make sure you use the bathroom before you enter the site. It is right in front of the entrance and costs two soles.
If it is cloudy and rainy and you will leave the viewing platform where the most classic photos are taken from and start the tour around Machu Picchu, with a hope to come back when the weather improves, we would like to inform you that this is impossible. Once you are on the trail you only have to move forward and follow the circuit – there are many guards with whistles watching, and you won’t stand a chance.
Food and Water
When it comes to food and water, bring your own. The ticket says that eating inside the site is prohibited, but you can bring a small snack with you, only try not to eat too openly, and it comes without saying that you should not litter. Also, you should bring your water in re-usable flasks or canteens, because Machu Picchu tries to fight against single-use plastic bottles.
Prohibited objects inside Machu Picchu
Walking sticks are not allowed unless the person needs them.
It is not allowed to enter Machu Picchu with drones, hiking poles, tripods, or selfie sticks as well. Older people can carry a cane, but with a rubber tip, not with a metal one.
Professional cameras are not allowed. Permits for professional cameras are over $300 so avoid bringing a professional-looking camera in to save some money.
You cannot enter to Machu Picchu with your travel backpack. Only smaller models are allowed so leave your backpack in Aguas Calientes in your Hotel.
FREQUENT ASK QUESTIONS
HOW TO BOOK MACHU PICCHU 2 DAY TOUR WITH AB EXPEDITONS?
In order to book the Machu Picchu 2 day tour with us, you need to click the Book Now buttom above, then select the date of your departure, then fill out all the personal information of each participant, and the last step is the payment which you can do with credit card or debit card. Please, send us only the deposit.
***Once we receive your deposit, we will need Pictures of Passport of each participants because they are required when buying Machu Picchu and train ticket.
When your Machu Picchu tickets are in our hands, we will send you a confirmation that everything is 100% organized. All start dates, once confirmed, are guaranteed.
WHAT ABOUT THE OUTSTANDING BALANCE?
Your remaining balance can be made in cash 1 day earlier your trip in USD or soles or if you prefer PayPal at least one week prior to your trip(7% service fee applies). Also, you can pay us with Credit card Visa(5% service fee applies). It is better to pay us with cash because there is not any transaction fee. Please let us know what you prefer.
HOW LONG IN ADVANCE SHOULD I BOOK MACHU PICCHU 2 DAY TRIP?
- If you are thinking to book in high season from May to August, we recommend you to book 2 - 5 months in advance to secure the early slots.
- If you are thinking to book in shoulder season April, September, October and November. We recommend you to book 1 – 2 months in advance.
- If you are thinking to book in rainy season from December to March, you can find availability all the time, except on Christmas and New year. For Christmas and new year, we recommend you to book 2 months if possible.
ARE THERE ANY RESTRICTIONS FOR COVID-19?
To board the train, you should have your vaccination card and you have to wear mask at all times. Inside Machu Picchu, you will be asked to wear the mask all the time too.
HOW ABOUT THE STUDENT DISCOUNT?
According to Peruvian Law, you have to be under 18 years old at the time of your visit to Machu Piccu (if you are 18 or over, you need valid student cards). Below is the sample of valid student card
- All students from 11 to 17 years old have a discount of $20 USD.
- For children from 2 to 11 years old have a discount is $30 USD.
All students have to send a copy of their passport and student card at the time of their booking to get the student discount. Send us a copy at firstname.lastname@example.org
HOW IF I CANCEL MY MACHU PICCHU TWO DAY TOUR, CAN I GET A REFUND?
Unfortunatly, we cant refund the deposit. What we can do is, we can postpone your trip for another date, but you have to let us know 72 hours in advance and you need to pay a penalty of 25% of your deposit.
MAY I CHANGE DEPARTURE DATE AFTER THE PERMITS HAVE BEEN PURCHASED?
Yes, it is possible. But you should let us know 72 hours before, and you have to pay the penalty of 25% of deposit which Peru rail and Machu Picchu office charges us.
DO I NEED TO BRING MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT ON THE MACHU PICCHU 2 DAY TOUR?
Yes! You must bring your original passport and it is very important that it should be same passport you sent us to reserve your Machu Picchu ticket. Your passport will be checked at Machu Picchu checkpoint and when you board the train.
CAN I BOOK THE 2 DAY TOUR TO MACHU PICCHU WITH MY EXPIRED PASSPORT?
If you are renewing your passport, go ahead and email us a copy of your old passport to book your Machu Picchu ticket. If you no longer have your old passport, any government issue ID will be accepted, as long as the name is the same. Once you receive your new passport. Please email us a copy of your new passport ASAP to change the information of your ticket.
WHAT IS THE SCHEDULE OF MY TRAIN TICKET?
It will depend on the train availability. We usually book the 12:55 pm schedule from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes on day 1 and the return train ticket is at 02:55 pm so you arrive to Cusco at 06:30 pm and you have enough time sleep and do any tour next day, like Rainbow Mountain.
CAN I STAY IN THE SACRED VALLEY FOR MY MACHU PICCHU 2 DAY TOUR?
Yes, you can stay in Urubamba or Ollantaytambo. by staying in the Sacred Valley, your pickup will be 1 hour and half after the cusco pick up so you will sleep more.
CAN I BOOK MY OWN HOTEL IN AGUAS CALIENTES?
You can book any hotel in Aguas Calientes. It will decrease the price of $40 per person. If you decide to book your own hotel, dont forget tell us where you plan to stay so our guide will take you there safely.
WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO VISIT MACHU PICCHU?
The best time to visit Machu Picchu are the shoulder months, April, May, September, October, and November. The chances of rain are few during these months, and the temperature is pleasand it is away from the cold winter nights of peak season. During these months, there will be less crowds too.
IS THIS TWO DAY TOUR TO MACHU PICCHU SAFE FOR CHILDREN?
We recommend this tour for children and families because, it is easy and safe. Machu Picchu has easy access and all facilities for visitors. Children have discounts of $30, so feel free to send us an email to get your quotation.
I'M STAYING AT AIRBNB, CAN YOU STILL PICK US UP?
Yes, we will need your exact address to arrange your pick up and drop off. It has no extra cost.
CAN I DO THIS 2 DAY TRAIN TOUR TO MACHU PICCHU ALONE?
Of course, as a solo traveler you will enjoy Machu Picchu in a private service for an additional cost of $95, so you will pay $465 in total.
IS IT POSSIBLE TO CLIMB HUAYNA PICCHU ON 2 DAY MACHU PICCHU TOURS?
Yes, It is possible to hike the Huayna Picchu Mountain after your guided tour at Machu Picchu.
IS IT POSIBLE TO CLIMB MACHU PICCHU MOUNTAIN ON YOUR MACHU PICCHU DAY TRIP?
Yes, it is possible to hike to Machu Picchu Mountain after your guided tour at Machu Picchu ruins.
The most affordable price
Let's start your journey!