Choquequirao Trek 5 days
Our Choquequirao trek 5 days is a challenging but wonderful experience and rewarding adventure. Join us and explore the sacred sister of Machu Picchu. This hike enables you to get a firsthand view of a unique Inca town perched above the Apurimac Canyon, known by local people as the mighty river in Quechua “the Talking God”. The trek begins and ends in the village of Cachora. It is a challenging trek…not for the timid. This hike is 20 miles in one way, or 40 miles round trip.
- Hike to Machu Picchu’s “sister city”, Choquequirao which means the Cradle of Gold
- Enjoy a serious physical challenge – steep uphills and downhills through the unparalleled Apurimac Canyon
- Enjoy the dramatic landscapes and a variety of flora and Fauna.
- You will see Condor flying over you in the afternoon at Choquequirao
- Choquequirao is far less crowded and more authentic trekking experience than the classic Inca Trail.
- Hike through small villages on the way and see how peruvian people live in a remote áreas.
- Soak in views of snow-capped Mountains and awe-inspiring incan ruins.
Why should you hike Choquequirao Trek 5 days with us?
- Our horsemen are treated with respect, we provide them fair salary, a decent tent with a pad, proper meal, and proper equipment. We care for their health, well-being, and the health of their families, also we are committed to social projects to improve their lives.
- We are practical, punctual, reliable Travel company, welcoming individuals or groups. Check out our reviews on trip advisor.
- At AB Expeditions, our horsemen, guides, drivers, and Cooks receive their salary as soon they finish their job.
- We dont share our group of Choquequirao trek 5 days with other companies.
- Small groups of 2 to 8 people máximum. This fact sets us apart from other travel companies that take bigger groups. However if you are a family or friends more than 8 people, we can organize your trip to Choquequirao without any problem.
- AB Expeditions is A 100% locally owned Travel Company and fully licensed Choquequirao trek operator.
- Our Tour Guides pride themselves on being up to date and have a comprehensive programme of continual professional development. We love showing what a fascinating and amazing Choquequirao is.
CHOQUEQUIRAO TREK 5 DAYS ITINERARY
1 Day Cachora – Coca masana – Playa Rosalina
We will pick you up at your hotel around 05:00 am. We proceed to drive nearly 4 hours to cachora. During the bus ride, you can observe the white snowcapped mountains of Salkantay and Veronica: the Holy Gods of the Incas. Also you will glimpse the spectacular views of the upper part and lower valleys with colorful landscapes. After 4 hours in Cachora (2,900m asl), a typical Andean town. After we keep driving for an hour to capulliyuc where we meet our horsemen and our cook prepare delicious food to start a two-hour trek to Chikiska (2,115m).
On the way we get our first views of the Apurimac Valley stretching below and of the snow-capped peaks of Padreyoc and Wayna Cachora (5,482m). Afterwards we descend through the eastern slopes of the Andes to get Coca Masana (2,330m). The temperature gets higher and the flora and fauna begin to change. Finally we get Playa Rosalina (Rosalina Beach) at 1,550m, where we set our tents beside the raging Apurimac River.
2 Day Playa Rosalina – Maranpata or Choquequirao
Early wakeup call at 5:00 am with coca tea brought to your tent. Afterward, we pack up , enjoy our breakfast, and immediately begin hiking up to reach Maranpata or Choquequirao after mid-day. We will reach the archaeological site and we get to know it steps by step, the great skill, and intelligence which had the people who built this vestige which makes us seeing again the glorious time of Inca civilization. Admiring the beauty and with our heads full of ideas, we observe dauntless the condors flying, which appear around 3 p.m. in the area of Choquequirao when they fly to higher zones. Later we take a route to Raqaypata where we camp and after dinner we spent the night.
3 Day Choquequirao all day
Day three is the most magical day, this day we will dedicate ourselves exclusively to enjoy all the magic of history and splendor of Choquequirao. Your guide will spend around 5 hours explaining the highlights of Choquequirao to know whole the site with its 8 sectors, like barns, houses temples and also we will observe the three levels of the excavated ruins of this late Inca-town, like the ruin in the progress of excavation and finally unexplored areas that can tell us about this last refuge of the oppressed Inca empire terraces.
Again, like in the morning, this afternoon we have the chance to enjoy the majestic flight of condors which with big luck will pass very close to you. In the afternoon we will return to our campsite to have our lunch and then rest and enjoy the quietness of Choquequirao and we spend the night there.
4 Day Choquequirao -Santa Rosa – Chiquiska
After another early breakfast we will prepare ourselves for our way back to Cusco and say goodbye to the majestic Choquequirao Inca site. and immediately begin hiking down towards Santa Rosa town, where the vegetation will become abundant and the weather hotter so then we keep walking until to reach playa Rosalina. We will continue going up to the sector of Chiquiska where we have our lunch and spend the night there.
5 Day Chiquiska – Cachora – Cusco
Early wakeup call at 5:00 am with coca tea brought to your tent. Afterward, we pack up, enjoy a delicious breakfast and immediately begin hiking up to the highest point of the choquequirao trail around climbing 4 hours more approximately until Mirador Capuliyoq where our private transport will wait for us to take us back to Cusco arriving to cusco by 5:00 or 6:00 pm.
- English speaking guide, plus an assistant guide for big groups.
- Professional cook and an assistant cook for a big group and horseman for the mules and horses.
- Mules which carry group gear and large duffels provided by the company, for personal belongings.
- All food on the trek, which incorporates traditional Peruvian cuisine as well as modern fusion cuisine and specific dietary needs.
- Boiled water and snacks.
- Large Dining tent, table, stools, all cutlery, and kitchen tent.
- Tents to overnight, and Thermarest. Two-person tents are provided for a single person and three-person tents for double people to provide plenty of space for personal gear.
- Additional horses for riding can be provided for an additional cost.
- First aid kit, including oxygen.
- A pre-trek briefing.
- Entrance fee to Choquequirao.
- The first breakfast and last dinner on the 5th day.
- Personal trekking gear including, backpacks, trekking poles, sleeping bags. However they may be rented from the company.
- Gratuity for guides, cooks, and horseman.
- Personal riding horse. Additional horses may be rented according to the needs of the individual and group.
WHAT TO BRING FOR CHOQUEQUIRAO TREK 5 DAYS
- Original Passport and Original Green ISIC international student cards if you are students.
- Water-resistant trekking shoes and sandals.
- Warm clothing (thermal underwear, fleece, hat, gloves, socks).
- Waterproof clothing (poncho).
- Synthetic or cotton clothing (socks, trousers, shorts, t-shirts).
- Sunhat and sunglasses.
- Sun cream and insect repellent.
- Water bottles such as Nalgene.
- Basic medications.
- Walking sticks.
- Swimsuit and towel.
- Personal items.
- Personal snacks.