Lares trek and short Inca Trail - 5 Days
Lares Valley Trek and Short Inca Trail give the hikers the best of all worlds in 5 days. You visit remote Quechua villages keeping the ancient culture alive and get the chance to interact with them. Our itinerary is incredibly picturesque, with amazing glaciers, turquoise lakes, waterfalls, Chinchillas, cute kids, beautifully dressed people, llamas, and alpacas. In the last 2 days, you will hike on the original paved Inca trail just like the Incas in ancient times, explore the ancient Inca ruins such as Wiñaywayna, Chachabamba and hike through the Sun Gate directly to Machu Picchu Llacta.
Hike the Lares trek that is packed with history, flora, and fauna; furthermore, this 11km of the Short inca Trail and you will access Machu Picchu through the Sun Gate like the Incas did befor and you will see Machu Picchu 2 times.
Our company AB Expeditions include Professional highly trained, educated and passionate tour guides to lead the groups of Lares trek and Short Inca Trail 5 days and answer all questions, horses which will help to carry all the needed camping gear and personal belongings; a professional chef who deliver hot restaurant-style meals at each camping site to guarantee delicious food and to ensure you have plenty of energy to appreciate the amazing landscapes that 4 day lares trek and the short Inca Trail offers.
Why should you hike Lares trek and Short Inca Trail 5 day hike with us?
- We offer you the best route which is Kiswarani to Huaran. You will see, hotspring, Waterfall, local people, lakes, glacier, Llamas, alpacas, and amazing landscape.
- We are practical, punctual, reliable Travel company, welcoming individuals or groups. Check out our reviews on trip advisor.
- At AB Expeditions, horsesmen, guides, driver, and Cooks receive their salary as soon they finish their job.
- We dont share our group of Lares trek and Short Inca Trail 5 days with other companies.
- Small groups of 2 to 8 people máximum. This fact sets us apart from other travel companies that take bigger groups.
- AB Expeditions is A 100% locally owned Travel Company and fully licensed Lares trek and Inca trail operator.
- Our Tour Guides pride themselves on being up to date and have a comprehensive programme of continual professional development. We love showing what a fascinating and amazing Inca trail is.
- Your return train ticket on day 5 is at 02:55 pm from Aguas Calientes. Therefore you arrive to Cusco early so you will sleep enough to do any tour the next day.
- We include you 7 kilogram of your personal belongings only for Lares trek.
- We include porters for the Short Inca trail who will carry your lunch, so you will hike light.
- You will ride the same train with your guide until the short Inca trail trailhead.
Lares trek and Short Inca Trail 5 Days
Day 1: Cusco - Lares – Kiswarani.
We will leave Cusco at 06:00 am for your Lares Trek and Short Inca Trail. We will be driven for about 2 hours to the valley of Calca where we will have breakfast, from where we keep going by our private van to the highest pass of this road at 4275 meters 13.891 feet. From there we will observe wonderful views of the snowcapped mountains, after enjoying the amazing views we keep driving to lares hot spring where we meet our horseman and have lunch before the trek begins. while our professional chef prepares our delicious lunch we can take a bath in the hot spring which is an option.
Then we hike to Kiswarani waterfall, where our staff will set up our first camp at an altitude of 3600 meters 11.811. We will hike around 7 kilometers during this first part of the trek (3.72 miles). On the way, we will see Andean farmers wearing their typical costumes and their animals such as alpacas and llamas.
Day 2: Kiswarani – Condor Pass - Cancha Cancha
After enjoying our delicious breakfast we will start walking at 06:30 a.m. We hike up to the Condor pass at (at 4200 meters 13.779 feet, the highest pass of our hike) where we have the unparalleled landscapes and the amazing glacier, wallatas (Andean geese) swim in the clear blue waters. Upon arrival at the summit of Condor Pass, our guide will serve you a well-deserved cup of coca-tea, and you can take some time to rest while your guide performs a spiritual offering ceremony to the sacred mountains of Sawasiray. From there we hike down to the lakes, We will have our delicious lunch close to these beautiful lakes watching Andean ducks, and queullas.
The second day is spectacular trekking through the Huaran mountain range, we will have many chances to spot a number of Andean bird species, including Andean condors, hawks and swallow. We will walk 15 kilometers during this day hiking (9 miles).
Day 3: Cancha Cancha – Ollantaytambo
We walk down through the Cancha Cancha valley for about 3 hours. This town has pleasantly warm weather. On the way down we will observe corn and potatoes farm irrigated by water from the glaciers of the amazing snow peaks which dominate the valley and feed the river Urubamba, which they venerate and called Wilkamayu or the Sacred River, after having our lunch, we will take a bus for 20-minutes to the Inca village of Ollantaytambo, where we overnight in a hotel.
Day 4: Ollantaytambo – Chachabamba – Sun Gate – Aguas Calientes
We will leave Ollantatambo at 06:00 am to start the Inca Trail . We will take our train until kilometer 104 where is the starting point of our trek. Our trek today takes us along the most wonderful stretch of the Classic Inca Trail 4 Days. We’ll visit beautiful Inca sites, see a variety of flora and fauna and get to take in the stunning panoramas of the Andes. Walking 10km of the trail our hike begins in the Sacred Valley and works it’s way up along a paved Inca trail to the archeological site of Winay Wayna before continuing on to Machu Picchu via the Sun Gate (Inti Punku). After visiting Wiñay Wayna, we will have our box lunch.
After enjoying our meal. we’ll hike through the lush and green cloud forest that covers the mountain and get to see a wide variety of plants, flowers, orchids, and birds along the way.
After a full days hiking, we’ll get to the Sun Gate (Inti Punku) in the afternoon and get our first views of Machu Picchu spread out on the mountain ridge below. The light in the afternoon is great for photos and with fewer tourists on the site, it’s a perfect time to take wonderful pictures of the site. After passing through the Sun Gate we’ll keep hiking for about 45 minutes to get Machu Picchu where we will catch the bus to Aguas Calientes. We will check in our hotel then we have dinner
Day 5: Machu Picchu - Cusco
Day 5 is the most magical day: Machu Picchu. We will wake up early, to take the first bus up to Machu Picchu and see the sunrise over the ruins.
Your guide will spend around 3 hours explaining the highlights of Machu Picchu. Afterward, you will have time to explore by yourself the ruins and hike Huaynapicchu if you have booked this option. (This is a separate entrance ticket that costs $65 per person). Finally, you will return to Aguas Calientes and take a train back to Ollantaytambo, and then bus back to Cusco. Once in Cusco, we will transfer you back to your hotel.
- A porter who will carry your lunch on day 4 while you are hiking the Inca Trail.
- Entrance fee to Lares private lands.
- 7 Kilograms of your personal for only Lares trek, but not for the Short Inca trail.
- Tranportation from Huaran to Ollantaytambo.
- Private transportation from the hotel to the Kiswarani trailhead.
- English speaking guide.
- Round trip train tickets from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes
- Round trip bus tickets from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu.
- Short inca trail permits and Machu Picchu ticket.
- Hotel of 2 stars in Ollantaytambo(Tunupa Lodge or similar)
- Hotel of 3 stars in Aguas Calientes (Tara Machu Picchu or similar)
- 3 person tents for 2 people.
- Foam mattress
- Meal service at the campsites (5 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners, 4 snacks). With option for vegetarians, gluten free, lactose Intolerance and any food allergy.
- Cook and cooking equipment
- Horseman and horses to carry all camping and personal equipment (7 kilograms of your personal items such as extra clothes, sleeping bag, these will be carried by our mules) (on Lares Trek portion only)
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen tank
- Boiled water to fill your drinking bottles
- Guided tour in Machu Picchu
- Private van from Ollantaytambo to Cusco.
- Sleeping Bag: $20 USD
- Air Mattress: $20 USD
- Walking Poles: $15 USD
- Personal tent: $30 USD
Additional things to upgrade
WHAT TO BRING FOR THE LARES TREK AND SHORT INCA TRAIL 5 DAYS
- Original Passport and student cards if you are students.
- A Hiking/trekking Backpack (21 liters capacity).
- Hiking Poles with rubber tips. You can bring your own or rent it from AB Expeditions.
- Trekking Clothing: Hiking shoes, waterproof pants, waterproof shorts, two shirts, a light sweater, jacket for rain, and clothes to rest in at the hotel. On the other hand, it is quite comfortable and relaxing for the body to wear light clothes for the walk; for this, waterproof materials are very good, because they enable quick drying from sweat and rain.
- Night in Aguas Calientes: Please bring with you a clean set of clothes to wear after the trekking. Also, you can bring along swimwear and towels if you decide to visit the hot springs in Aguas Calientes.
- Personal Hygiene items: toothpaste. toothbrush, and wet wipes.
- Medicine: If you are taking any medications, please bring them with you. It is also recommended to bring some over the counter medicine for the altitude sickness (Coramina, Aspirina, Diamox, Sorojchi, Acetazolamide). It is also suggested to bring Anti Blister Gel to avoid getting blisters on your feet and being unable to continue on your trek.
- Digital Camera with an external memory (2-4 Gb) (Optional).
- Sunglasses with UV protection.
- Sun Block SPF 60 (UVA-UVB) waterproof and sport.
- Waterproof Insect Repellent lotion, not spray.
- Swiss Army Knife.
- Water bottle made of flexible plastic. This type of bottle is very easy to carry and does not take up a lot of space. At the same time, they help in our effort to protect the environment.