MACHU PICCHU IN MAY
Is May a good time to visit Machu Picchu? Machu Picchu’s weather in May marks the arrival of the dry season. Crowds are still lower than during high season(June through August). If you are visiting Machu Picchu in May, you’ll experience more sunshine, and slightly cold nights. Daytime temperatures are comfortable and the chance of rain decreases.
May is also a great time to hike all the trekking options that end in Machu Picchu, such as: Inca Trail 4 days, and Inca trail 2 days.
When is the best time of the day to visit Machu Picchu in May?
The best time of the day to visit Machu Pichu in May is either at 6 am or after 2 pm. By visiting at 6 am, you are be able to enjoy the sunrise and beat the mid-morning crowds. By visiting after 2 pm, you will enjoy Machu Picchu much better with less crowd, because the majority of the visitor have already left.
Things to know
- The rainy season comes to an end in Machu Picchu in May
- Machu Picchu permits sell out quickly for this month.
- Despite the good weather, Machu Picchu still remains sometimes shrouded in cloud in early morning,
- Plants and flowers are thriving at the moment after the rainy season.
- May is one of the best times to visit Machu Picchu.
- During this month the number of visitors increase in Machu Picchu and train tickets and some tourist services in Aguas Calientes start increasing.
- The temperature in Machu Picchu fluctuates between 25°C and 11°C (77°F – 51.8°F).
- On average, rain falls 6 days of the month.
- You have a better chance to see the sunrise and sunset over the ruins.
- This month lets you catch the sunrise over the east mountain ridge illuminating the ancient Inca city.
- Safe and dry steps to climb Huaynapicchu or Machu Picchu Mountain.
- Machu Picchu will appear in the sunshine most of the time.
- Less rain precipitation in the area.
- See the summits of Salkantay mount by climbing either Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain.
- Friendlier temperature before entering to officially to winter temperatures.
- The trip back from Machu Picchu to Aguas Caliente may require 45 minutes to 1-hour wait before boarding a bus.
- In the early morning when viewing Machu Picchu from viewpoint may get shrouded.
- The once-blooming and beautiful flowers will have fallen.
- Book train tickets in advance, decent hour tickets can run out in May. The trip has to be planned to enjoy it.
- Wear a long brim hat and put on sunblock as the sun is strong in May.
- Bring layers. Although it will be sunny and pleasant during the day, temperatures drop at night.