HUAYNA PICCHU VS MACHU PICCHU MOUNTAIN
All Machu Picchu postcards are printed or promoted with the Huayna Picchu Mountain in the background. However, there is also another mountain right on the opposite side of Huayna Picchu Mountain that you may want to climb as well, for contemplating Machu Picchu citadel from above. Here we tell you a few reasons why you should choose one or the other, so please stay with us on Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu mountain.
Huayna Picchu Mountain
- This leads to having bird-eye pictures of the ancient city and the surrounding mountain range.
- Visit the Inca structures halfway near the summit.
- It gives you an overview and different perspective of the citadel
- A walk through a small cave in the returning hike, and then it reunites back to the main path to leave
- Extra Hike to Uña Picchu little mountain
- You can use handrail wires implemented at narrow sections
- Visit the moon temple
- Its incline path might frighten you
- A steep and narrow path
- The summit is not that flat, and there you stand over scattered granite rocks.
- A challenging route
- Permits run out faster
Machu Picchu Mountain
- Gradual ascent compared to Huayna Picchu mountain
- A wider path and less use of hands
- Doable in a family trip
- Permits don’t sell out well in advance
- The summit is relatively wider and flat
- It gives sweeping views to the Machu Picchu citadel and the snaking Vilcanota river
- Unexpected wildlife to see
- It is twice as long as the Huayna Picchu mountain
- It reaches a higher altitude than Huayna Picchu mountain
- A difficult route but either manageable too.
- It may be windy at the summit.