RAINBOW MOUNTAIN VINICUNCA DAY HIKE
Rainbow Mountain of Peru is also known as Vinicunca, Winicunca, Montaña de 7 Colores, and Montaña de Colores – has blown up in popularity in the last few years and is arguably now well on its way to becoming the second most visited attraction in Peru after Machu Picchu. The hike to the top is no joke, but rewarding.
Rainbow Mountain Peru was recently discovered and it went viral thanks to social media such as Instagram, Youtube, and Facebook,
Note: There is only one spot to take the classical picture of the Rainbow Mountain, come with us and be there between the first people!.
daily departures with 2 or more people.
3 day acclimatization recommended.
Best from March to november.
famous, touristy place, crowded.
4600 m (15,091 ft)- 5040 m (19,535 ft).
yes! private, custom, add-ons all available.
TRIP ACTIVITIES & FEATURES
culture, glaciers, hiking & trekking, lakes, mountains, nature, wildlife.
Hiking / Trekking.
1 day: 2:15am – 4pm.
8 km (4.971 mi).
RAINBOW MOUNTAIN TOUR ITINERARY:
We will pick you up at your hotel around 02:15 am. We proceed to drive nearly 3 hours in a private van to the trailhead where we will provide you box breakfast upon arrival to fuel up for the trek ahead of you. After enjoying our breakfast we start hiking. We will hike around 2 hours roughly until the top of the RAINBOW MOUNTAIN, you will have time to explore the area and take pictures. We will spend approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour (depend on your trekking speed and weather conditions). After enjoying the Rainbow Mountains for about one hour, we go to visit the RED VALLEY which takes another 30 minutes. Then we get back to the trailhead (1 hour roughly), where we catch our van, then we drive for one hour more to our Lunch spot Cusipata(3,250m/11,000feet) where you will be given delicious food by our professional chef and get back to Cusco arriving at your hotel around 03:00 pm roughly.
- English speaking guide, plus an assistant guide for a big group.
- First aid kit, including oxygen.
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our chef.
- Snacks for the trek.
- Private transportation to and from your hotel in Cusco.
- Entrance fees to Rainbow Mountain.
- pick up and drop off from the hotel.
- Pre-Trek briefing the night before the trek to go over the itinerary, meet your guide(s) and answer any questions.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Personal trekking gear including, backpacks, trekking poles, and Trekking shoes. However, they may be rented from the company.
- Gratitudes for guides.
- Personal riding horse. Additional horses may be rented according to the needs of the individual and group.
PRICE USD: 2 Trekker: $120, 3 Trekkers: $95, 4 Trekkers $85, 5-6 Trekkers: $75, 7-8 Trekkers: $65 (PER PERSON).
WHAT WE RECOMMEND TO BRING:
- 1 Liter and half of the water (per person- at least!).
- Personal snacks (optional).
- Water-resistant trekking shoes.
- Warm clothing (thermal underwear, fleece, hat, gloves, and socks).
- Waterproof clothing (poncho).
- Synthetic or cotton clothing (socks, trousers, shorts, t-shirts).
- Sunhat and sunglasses.
- Sun cream.
- Water bottles such as Nalgene.
- Basic medications.
- Walking sticks.
- Personal items.
- Don’t forget wáter!.Drinking lots of water will help with the altitude. We recommend bringing at least 2 liter per person on the hike with you, and have a extra bottle to leave in the van for when you get back.
- We skip the crowds!— Everybody else goes to Rainbow Mountain at the same time. That means they’re all up at the top at the same time. There is only one spot to take the classical picture of the Rainbow Mountain(Vinicunca) and it wouldn’t be pleasant with a huge crowd of people. Since we leave from Cusco at 02:15 am. We get the Rainbow Mountain before the crowd.
- Our guide always oxygen tanks which are important as you get over 5040 meters/16,500 feet above sea level! Not all travel agemcies offer this, so this is definitely something to look out for when choosing the best Rainbow Mountain tour operator.
- Make sure you are acclimatised to Cusco’s altitude before you set off on your hike to the Rainbow Mountain. This is by far the best insurance of a smooth and enjoyable trip. We recommend you spend at least 2 days in Cusco prior to the excursion.
- Go to sleep early and try to avoid drinking or partying the night before, because We will pick you up at 02:15 am and physically challenging trek will be much more bearable without a hangover.
- If you have altitude sickness symptoms, descend as quickly as you can. It’s nothing to mess around with.
- The best time to visit to the Rainbow Mountain will be in the morning or evening hours, either right after sunrise, or right before sunset.
- Try to go all the way to the viewpoint. You get a 360° view not just a rainbow Mountain, but of the nearby glacier and a gorgeous valley in the other direction. I think most people didn’t realize what they were missing by not going all the way up.
- If you are going to Machu Picchu the day before you trip to the Rainbow Mountain, tell your travel company to book your return train ticket early.
- Dont go to the Rainbow Mountain in the afternoon in rainy season because of lighting. Since the high concentration of mineral. There is high change to get striken by lighting.
- The higher elevation also means colder, nearly freezing temperatures, so be prepared. If you decide to take a one-day tour, make sure to wear very warm clothes. Also bring coca leaves to fight off altitude sickness and carry the minimum gear possible to ease the hike.
- The hike to the top is no joke. Constantly changing weather conditions, combined with high altitude, can be a challenge for experienced hikers. But if done right it’s manageable even for those who don’t hike much.
- You go to the Plaza de Armas in Cusco, you’ll find tons of agencies that offer this same tour “cheap”, but remember: you get what you pay for. In many cases, some agencies may charge much less but will send you on a tour where the groups are 25, 35 more tourists and one guide. We offer our exclusive service tour where the minimum is 2 and the maximum is 8 people per group.