HUCHUY PICCHU MOUNTAIN
Huchuy Picchu is a small mountain located right next to the popular Huayna Picchu which you can hike. It offers stunning views of Machu Picchu, Putucusi Mountain, the snaking Vilcanota River, and the lush mountainous landscape.
- IMPORTANT.– With Huchuy Picchu Mountain tickets, you don’t have a chance to grab your “postcard shot” with Machu Picchu, because you will enter Machu Picchu by the lower part and have to complete circuit 04 (long bass – Blue color). In order to have a postcard picture of Machu Picchu, you have to purchase regular Machu Picchu tickets as well.
- You must respect the scheduled entrance times. If you arrive a couple of minutes late, you won’t be allowed to enter!
- To avoid the crowd at the viewpoint, trekkers who arrive at this classical photo place can only stay there for a maximum of 15 minutes, so take advantage of each one of them to get a nice picture.
- During the wet season (December to March) the trail to the mountain tends to get wet. It is recommended to wear trekking shoes.
- If you have a Huchu Picchu ticket, you should do the guided tour and climb Huchuy Picchu Mountain.
- Use the toilet outside of Machu Picchu ( 2 soles). With Huchuy Picchu ticket, you are allowed to enter Machu Picchu only once.
Huchuy Picchu Schedules in 2023
The alternative route to Huchuy Picchu Mountain will have 200 spaces per day, distributed in 6 hours, the first hour being from 7 am to 8 am, the second hour from 8 am to 9 am, the third hour from 9 am to 10 am, the fourth hour from 10 am to 11 am, the fifth hour, from 11 am to 12 pm, and the six hours from 12 pm to 1 pm.
- Height: 2,497 m (8,192 ft)
- Altitude Gain: 70 m (220 ft)
- Restrictions: There are no age restrictions to climb Huchuy Picchu Mountain.
- Walking distance: 1 km / 0.6 miles.
- The number of visitors: 200 spaces per day.
- Walking Time: 30 – 45 minutes round trip.
- Difficulty: Easy.
- Archaeological Attractions: Yes.
Cost for Huchuy Picchu Mountain Hike
- Adult: 152 Peruvian Soles($45 US dollar)
- Student: 77 Peruvian Soles($25 US dollar)
- Child (8 to 17 years old): 70 Peruvian soles( $22 US dollars)
How to buy Huchuy Picchu tickets in 2023?
There are 3 ways to buy Picchu Picchu tickets:
Search the Ministry of Culture’s official website at: www.machupicchu.gob.pe Click on the UK flag at the top right to change the site into English. Remember that sometimes the website is not working and that it could sometimes be hard to buy your Huchuy Picchu Mountain ticket online.
2.- Book your tickets when you arrive in Cusco.
Book your tickets when you arrive in Cusco.
Official Offices in Cusco:
- Go to the ‘Direccion Regional de Cultura’ office with your passport at Street Garcilaso s/n Cusco – The Garcilaso House is only 2 blocks away from the Plaza de Armas(main square).
- Go to Maruri Street 324 – It is also a few meters from the Main Square of Cusco City.
Opening hours: Monday – Saturday 07:00 – 19:00. Closed on Sundays and Holidays. This option is a little riskier especially in high season when tickets are overbooked.
3.- Book your ticket with a Travel Agency.
The easiest, safest, and best way to Purchase a Huchuy Picchu Picchu Mountain ticket is through a Licensed travel agency that will purchase the ticket for you. You need to send them a payment, a copy of your Passport, a preferable schedule, and the date of your visit. One of the recommended Companies is AB Expeditions. This is their WhatsApp number +51976510080 to help to buy your Huchuy Picchu ticket.
Is Huchuy Picchu worth it?
Yes, it is worth it for people who are looking for an easy and quick hike. Once at the top, you will have a unique view of Machu Picchu.
Is Huchuy Picchu dangerous?
As long as you stick to the mountainside, This hike is safe. You must take extra care on narrow paths, especially on rainy days.
Is there a student discount?
According to Peruvian Law, you should be under 18 years old at the time of your trek to Huchuy Picchu Mountain (if you are 18 or over, you need to have valid student cards).
Do you need to be an expert hiker to hike Huchuy Picchu?
No. Anyone can hike Huchuy Picchu Mountain. You don’t need to be an expert hiker.
Do I need a guide to hike Huayna Picchu?
You don’t need a tour guide to hike Huchuy Pichu Mountain. The trail is only one way and it is very well-marked and easy to follow.
What to bring to Huchuy Picchu
- Original Passport.
- Huchuy Picchu Ticket (you can’t hike without this).
- Trekking shoes.
- Long sleeves t-shirt and pants to protect from mosquitoes and sunburn.
- Lightweight raincoat or Rain poncho especially in the rainy season
- 2 liters of water. There is not any stream to refill your bottle.
- Energy snack.
- Insect repellent.
- A camera.